• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cat 45 network cable and network connection plugs

leeb-1977

guys - i was wondering if anyone may be able to lend a hand.

The in laws are having Virgin BB installed next week and ive promised to help them get set up.

Wireless would be the easy route - but i fear that everytime they get a connection drop im going to be hauled around to their house to get things sorted.... which is obviously a no go if i can avoid it.

so..... Im trying to lay my hands on 25 feet of Cat 45 network cable and a couple of plugs. I know there's places i can get the cable off the roll - but ive not got a bloomin' clue when it comes to wiring up the plugs - plus i dont have the appropriate crimper.

anyone got any advice on how i can get this little issue sorted.... im meant to be helping sort it this weekend in preperation for the BB install next Tuesday.

booyaka

guys - i was wondering if anyone may be able to lend a hand.

The in laws are having Virgin BB installed next week and ive promised to help them get set up.

Wireless would be the easy route - but i fear that everytime they get a connection drop im going to be hauled around to their house to get things sorted.... which is obviously a no go if i can avoid it.

so..... Im trying to lay my hands on 25 feet of Cat 45 network cable and a couple of plugs. I know there's places i can get the cable off the roll - but ive not got a bloomin' clue when it comes to wiring up the plugs - plus i dont have the appropriate crimper.

anyone got any advice on how i can get this little issue sorted.... im meant to be helping sort it this weekend in preperation for the BB install next Tuesday.

you can get pre-made cables with plugs and all on the end. everywhere does them - ebay, maplin, screwfix,amazon etc etc. saves buying crimpers,cable, etc etc

leeb-1977

Its 25ft (8M) mate... not 25 M!

anyway - its running through 2 rooms.... but behind fireplaces etc - and we have to remove skirting boards and drill through walls hence i want to fit the ends myself rather than buy pre-made cables. I could actually buy a cable with one end pre fitted i suppose - as long as i fit the other end.

An ideal situation would be to have wall sockets - but im not going to spend the weekend chiseling out walls! and the pc is sitting in a reccess - so the table doesnt leave enough room have have a box section on the wall for the faceplate to be mounted on.... so i have very little choice but to run a cable and fix the ends myself.

Last edited:

mickevh

Distinguished Member
In that case, you need a crimping tool to put the plugs on the end of the cables, esp. if you've never done it before. They can be had for less that GBP 20 these days, probably cheaper if you go to an auction site.

The following link is to my favourite "how to do ethernet cables" page.

How to wire Ethernet Cables

leeb-1977

can you not buyclip together plugs rather than crimp ones?

Deadringers

Distinguished Member
i use the range max wireless router from netgear, before that i had another netgear one which constantly had drop outs...now...none!
it is really good and simple to set up :)
and if this is not an option..then yes i would look at the homeplug option as this is much eaiser than removing skirting board and crimping and all that rubbish...espically if you do not know what you are doing!

leeb-1977

ive done a network cable many moons ago - but no longer have crimps or anything, and cant remember how its done - although those links bring some of it back.

The homeplugs idea would be ideal if i thought for a second id get the money back off the inlaws for them - but as i know its a non starter on the money front i cant really justify paying out that money.... that money could buy ME something nice! lol

oh well - suppose ill have to bite the bullet and buy a set of crimps from somewhere and find somewhere local that does network cable 'off the roll'.

Kristian

The modules for screwfix are pretty thin so should mount in a shallow backbox. They use IDCs for termination (tool from sf is about £7) and use solid cable which is what you usually get 'off the roll' Then buy some patch leads.

If you are going to use plugs then make sure you get stranded cable.

CrispyUK

Just a quick point, the cable is Cat5e, not Cat 45 and the connectors/plugs are RJ45 - might make it a bit easier to hunt down the bits you want :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom