Casual lounge PC gaming advice please

slimshadey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, long time member part time poster. Checked back to over a year and couldn’t see this covered (hope I don’t upset people with this concept!)

Looking to get a set up to play PC games from the comfort of the sofa. Have been sharing a gaming laptop with my son since my MSI laptop died. Found gaming on a laptop at a desk a bit intense and uncomfortable, I’m 50 you know, plus he’s doing A Levels so availability is scarce.

Want to output to my Sony Bravia 55A8 OLED TV via HDMI. Going to be playing RPGs and action games and maybe some racing games, currently playing New World.

I am looking at a pre build mostly because of the GPU market right now (and it’s less hassle) although I did used to build my own waaaaay back in the day. My budget is around £1000 but less would be good.

From what I have seen over the last week or so most pre built PCs have pretty much the same components for my budget range except for the GPU. Looks like an i5 10400, 16GB RAM and a 500GB NVME SSD. So getting to the question bit, to output to my TV should I be looking at an Nvidia 1660 super or push for a 3060 or is there another solution? I have no brand loyalty so happy to consider AMD alternatives, I understand they might be quite good now for specific components.

Alternatively should I consider a lower resolution output from PC and let the TV handle any upscaling?

As always any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi guys, long time member part time poster. Checked back to over a year and couldn’t see this covered (hope I don’t upset people with this concept!)

Looking to get a set up to play PC games from the comfort of the sofa. Have been sharing a gaming laptop with my son since my MSI laptop died. Found gaming on a laptop at a desk a bit intense and uncomfortable, I’m 50 you know, plus he’s doing A Levels so availability is scarce.

Want to output to my Sony Bravia 55A8 OLED TV via HDMI. Going to be playing RPGs and action games and maybe some racing games, currently playing New World.

I am looking at a pre build mostly because of the GPU market right now (and it’s less hassle) although I did used to build my own waaaaay back in the day. My budget is around £1000 but less would be good.

From what I have seen over the last week or so most pre built PCs have pretty much the same components for my budget range except for the GPU. Looks like an i5 10400, 16GB RAM and a 500GB NVME SSD. So getting to the question bit, to output to my TV should I be looking at an Nvidia 1660 super or push for a 3060 or is there another solution? I have no brand loyalty so happy to consider AMD alternatives, I understand they might be quite good now for specific components.

Alternatively should I consider a lower resolution output from PC and let the TV handle any upscaling?

As always any advice greatly appreciated.
You should be able to get a 3060 for that price. See this post
Post in thread 'Gaming PC Minimum' Gaming PC Minimum

Hotukdeals regularly post some good deals

I think the biggest issue with a pre built in a lounge is the case you end up with. A lot of them end up in fairly cases that stick out when you might be wanting something more compact

Hotukdeals is good starting point for getting maybe decent spec pre built

I think the biggest issue with a pre built in a lounge is the case you end up with. A lot of them end up in fairly cases that stick out when you might be wanting something more compact

Hotukdeals is good starting point for getting maybe decent spec pre built
Not too worried about the size of the case as I have quite a large stand that the TV is on. I have checked dimensions on most standard pre builds and so far they all fit. I plan on placing it sideways behind the tv and using any RGB effects to backlight the TV.

I have been following Hotukdeals for the last couple of weeks to get an understanding of some of the deals coming up for Black Friday mostly as research as it can often be a very mixed bag on what is available. I’m hoping there will be some decent deals in the Christmas sales.

As its going to be running on a 4K screen then depending what games you will be playing it may struggle with decent FPS unless you lower the setting right down ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom