1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Castle - to keep or not.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by poppyfield, Nov 17, 2003.

1. poppyfield

poppyfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... no pun intended.

I have an ageing pair of Castle Severns and I am looking for an appropriate centre speaker of modest proportions as well as rears - to replace cheap missions I currently have in place. Budget of around £750 for all. Can anyone suggest anything suitable.

Alternatively as we are re-doing the lounge set up, I wondered whether to 'dump' the castles and go for the B&W VM1 set up all round - wall mounted. This would be neater but would I lose something not having the larger floorstanders.

I hate to just discard things unless its necessary, but I do accept that the Castles may have had their day.

Anyone with any thoughts or similar experiences?

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I think those Castles are ok speakers, and wouldn't say they're past it at all, unless you find a sound you prefer elsewhere.

If you like them and the Castle sound, buy into their AV solutions.

Check the Sevenoaks website for constant sales of kit that'll match your needs.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The fact that loudspeakers improve drastically every year is a myth perpetuated by manufacturers and magazines out of self interest.

If in doubt have a listen to a pair of Rogers LS3/5A from circa 1975.

4. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Oh, but 'tis such a lovely one. :)

Dunc

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Poppyfield

Castle now do a neat range of home cinema package speakers (the compact range) which you may be able to buy individually. they come in a range of real wood finishes and are likely to be more of a match than those from another manufacturers.

Saw them in sevenoaksand they look beautiful. a center and 2 rears and the matching sub may just be in your price range. i think they are asking around £1000 for the full 5.1 set up.

Chris

6. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try and find a 2nd hand Keep (or Keep 2) - I used to have one and it matched very well with my Castle fronts (used to have Howard S2's).
    I would give Castle a call and ask which Keep would tonally better match your fronts. There number is 01756 795 333.

7. poppyfield

poppyfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I will stick with the Castles as suggested and will audition both the keep2 as well as their newer compact range. I do like the way the Castles sound and particularly the way they are constructed; the veneers look wonderful.

Quick additional question; is it as critical to match the Subwoofer to the remainder of the loudspeakers, i.e. need I purchase the Castle sub or would the Yamaha one that I currently have suffice. Would it purely be aesthetics that would lead me to change it.

Thanks for your thoughts

8. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would def recommend you stay with Castle - IMHO, it normally sounds far better when using the same 3 speakers on the fronts. The rears are not such an issue, but again, there are benefits to be had by keeping them in line.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Voice coil matching is not an issue with subwoofers so in theory any decent sub will do. If you are saving money by not getting rid of your stereo speakers you could think about upgrading the subwoofer.

10. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Poppyfield

It's not at all critical to get a matching sub. Bass has less tonality about it than higher frequencies. It's more about slam and depth. How low it will go for movies and make your furniture shake and then how well it integrates with the main speakers for music ie - does it keep up with the main speakers and carry the beat and bass lines.

BTW What model is the Yam sub ? They don't seem to carry much weight around the forum in terms of quality I'm afraid.

Are you wanting some real bone crunching movie action? If so I'd save a bit more cash rather than dip into the £750 you have for your surrounds (depending of course on what the surrounds cost). If you're on a budget then the MJ acoustics 50 and 100 models may do the trick. They come in decent wood effect finishes. Or further up the scale is their Ref 1 at about £800 or try the B&W ASW675 at a similar price. These offer superior movie action low frequencies and may complement the look of your Castles better.

But try the Castle compact of course. I've not heard it myself but it does look lovely. If you do try the Compacts, let us know what you think. I don't think many on the forum have heard them and I've not seen any reviews yet.

Chris

11. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to clarify, my post was re the center and not the subwoofer point....

12. gvh

gvh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have Severn 2's and a Keep 2 with older Isis models at the rear. Sounds fantastic. It would be very hard to find a Keep 2 2nd hand when you need to match your particular colour.

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Keep is good

Don't they still make them?

14. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah it's still current the whole range, names may have changed (Except the keep) don't get rid of your fronts (Unless you want to give them to me?!?) You'll only be dissapointed.