1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Castle Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by d.waters, Feb 10, 2002.

1. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Does anyone have, or can anyone recommend Castle speakers for an AV setup - possibly with a Denon AVC11SR

Cheers

Dave

2. siwatkins

siwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm hankering after the Castle CAV2 setup myself. Very well reviewed. I've not yet heard the Harlechs, but I have heard, and was very impressed by their big brothers, the Howards. Possibly some of the nicest speakers I've ever heard. The Harlech's according to some reviews are even better. Finish is gorgeous on them as well - really good bits of furniture.

They are a bit like Chicken's teeth in terms of finding a set though - I've not seen any good deals online, though if you do, please let me know! I'm not after the Sub as I've already got a Servo 15, but I'd bite the hand off of an online retailer with a good deal on these.

Simon

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have had several Castle speakers, and still use the old Keep centre. Siwatkins is right about the cabinets: they are without a doubt, some of the best in the business, especially the Yew (though that costs extra :( ). I have used to have the Harlechs, Keep and the Inversion sub (sub on loan):

The sub was crap. The Inversion sub uses the same driver and amp found in the Classic range and was as flat as a pancake. Get a Servo, Storm instead.

The Harlechs are very good indeed, that upward firing driver really adds to the spaciousness of the sound. The Harlechs didn't seem too bothered about placement - possibly because of the base mounted reflex port. The Harlechs are laid back in character and don't produce huge amounts of bass. Rather they produce the "correct" amount of bass. If compared directly after, say, B&W 603 series 2 (haven’t heard S3) , they will at first seem flat. After a while though, the Harlechs will prove themselves to be the better speaker, and are certainly more agile than the Howards.

The Keep is one of the best centres on the market for the money. I don’t know what the new ones are like, but if they are anything like the old Keep, they should be good. Very clear, precise and perfectly matches the rest of the Castle range.

I think SevenOaks sell Castle kit.

Hope this helps – Russell

4. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes it does help thanks.

I won't be trying Sevenoaks though, as it is they who gave me doubts about Castle being any good in the first place!

5. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,

I had the same experience with 7oaks, they told me that you need a powerful amp to drive them?

I E Mailed castle and they gave me some good info plus they can also tell you who are your local retailers (other than 7oaks). In the end I didn't go for them but I only decided after a demo.

Good luck:)

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    gazzerr,

The castle range of speakers can be driven by any competent amp. What does happen is Castle speakers sound progressivly better the more you spend on your amp and source. Even with a Krell amp/CD player, where you would expect the Harlechs to be a limiting factor, there were improvements in the way the speakers performed. So perhaps this is Sevenoaks were getting at?

I must admit, Sevenoaks in Newcastle are a professional lot, who seem to be AV/HiFi enthusiasts, rather than just salesmen.

Russell

7. keith cumbria

keith cumbria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im considering looking into castle speakers for my toshiba 42wh18b i was told today if you phone castle speakers in skipton north yorkshire they love speaking to the customer and will sell direct wouldut mind someone giving a speaker spec and sub as castle is only 1hr away from me ill look on my old hifi speakers for a number i was going to phone tomorrow so comments please

8. keith cumbria

keith cumbria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got no phone number on the speakers but its
    Castle Acoustics Ltd Skipton North Yorkshire

Directory enquries will know

I am considering using a denon 2802 amplifier

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    Hi d.waters

I have Castle Harlech myself, when I was auditioning speakers, I found they gave a more depth of field image, rather than a flat sound stage.
    I got mine at Sevenoaks and got a good discount, I also got some Van dan Hull? Tea Tree cable at the same time and got a good discount on that as well. They did not have the finish I wanted so I got them delivered to the door for free from Castle.
    The speakers do take a lot of running in but sound gorgeous as well as siwatkins states finish is gorgeous. :)
    I run mine from a Audiolab 8000 A and PX.
    Try tel 01756 795333. Or www.castle.co.uk and E-mail: sales@castleacoustics.co.uk

Oh in my Castle book it recommends the amplifier to be 25-150 watts.

10. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for your help. After listening to a few systems, including Castles, and considering the space required for a 7.1 setup, I decided to go for the M&K K Series with a VX-100 sub. I thought that this was the best sounding system.