Castle Severn replacement driver

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by gepit, May 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. gepit

gepit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a pair of Castle Severn 2 speakers and I suspect the woofer on one of the units could be on the way out. I considered looking out for a cheap scruffy offering on eBay from which I could cannibalise parts but there's no guarantee of of what I'll end up getting. I love these speakers, the finish is immaculate and they are capable of big deep sound with the right source but the 5 1/4 cone has a lot of work to do and does not take kindly to being driven aggressively. Looking to replace these with similar carbon fibre offering from Monacor (SPH-135c). I've heard this is a direct fit and with a 35mm coil compared to the original 25mm I suspect it could be a more robust unit...But will it sound good? Has anyone done this swap?

upload_2018-5-11_19-21-5.png

2. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I suspect you're correct in saying that the Monacor units are more robust than the Castle originals and may well handle more power. However, the Monacor units may not sound like the originals due to differences in:

Sensitivity
    Tonal 'voicing'
    Bass tuning/resonant frequency
    Crossover requirements/any frequency response filtering

Looks like a pair of Monacor drivers will set you back over £100 - that's a relatively expensive experiment. Could be worth contacting Wilmslow Audio or Falcon Acoustics who are known to help with this sort of issue - maybe they'll recommend a suitable replacement?

If not, I'd be tempted to purchase an entire kit that could be fitted into the old cabinets (i.e. tweeter, bass/mid driver, crossovers) but some woodwork is bound to be required. I once used a modified Focal kit to replace both drivers and crossover in a pair of Mission 770's with excellent results - in many ways, better than the original.

3. TobyKenobi

TobyKenobi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I had the same issue with my Castle Severn's about 5 years ago. As previous poster mentioned, I shipped my speakers off to Wilmslow Audio. They replaced the woofers with similar sounding units (it wasn't Monacor - they looked quite different to them and the Castle originals). They replaced them and I think I paid about £160 all in (labour, parts and return shipping) IIRC.

I couldn't hear any difference. They did a good job.