Castle Knight floorstanders...any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Timmy C, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    I've been asked by a friend to help find him some floorstanding speakers and I think until he gets fully bitten by the hifi bug he's at least as worried about looks as he is sound and these seem to fit the bill nicely so was hoping anyone that has heard or owned the 3,4 or 5's could tell me their thoughts.

While looks are important, I want to make sure they will sound good as he has a vinyl collection that deserves the best even if he doesn't seem overly worried about sound of his set up at the moment!

2. pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I heard the Knight 2's at the Manchester Show a few years back, and they were one of the highlights of the show in my opinion. Fantastic sound!

They didn't demo the floorstanders though.

3. TheHills44060

TheHills44060
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My experience has been completely different than pistolpete. Since they moved production to China the quality has suffered and Castle is a mere shell of itself. The cabinets, which used to be Castle's claim to fame, are typical run of the mill now. They no longer produce their own drivers and source them out to someone else. If you really want Castle's then go with a Classic series built in Skipton. I have the Howard S3's from around 2001 and they are fabulous. I can listen for hours and never get fatigued and they are very nice to look at. I would never consider purchasing a Castle speaker as the company stands today.

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Thanks guys for the input. I realise Castles aren't really what they were but as I mentioned it's a friend buying who's very much a music nut but not a hifi nut and I think it would be hard to convince him to seek out second hand speakers on the grounds they they will sound better than current models.

It seems money isn't really an issue but I've convinced him he would be silly spend loads on a set of speakers to use with his current Project Debut and old hand me down Yamaha amp. It is my plan to convince him to buy an old Audiolab 8000A to replace his current amp but he's set on getting nice looking floorstanders as he has a very smart living room and looks are important to him. The Castles seem to fit the bill but if anyone has any other suggestions then please post. Personally I'm a big MA fan and use GR's in 3 of my set ups but having looked at current prices I think even the Silver range would be spending too much given that I can't see him ever upgrading the rest of his set up asides from the amp as mentioned.

5. pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Dali zensor 5's are very good speakers, and I was very impressed with them playing a Marantz PM/CD6004 combo.

Whether they 'fit' into his living room is another matter.

6. TheHills44060

TheHills44060
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Timmy C sorry for the outburst. Yes they aren't what they once were but they are still very good speakers. I was just a giant Castle fan that I am biased against the newer stuff and don't often give them a fair shake. Compared to the competition in it's price range I think the Knights are a good choice, especially given the parameters given by your friend.

7. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    What's wrong with buying second hand? It's not a car. If you buy speakers second hand your ears will thank you, unless cost is not a restriction for you. E.g. a pair of the rightly much acclaimed Castle Conway 3's often go on sale in really good condition for around £300 or even less. They were £950 new and worth every penny.

8. TheHills44060

TheHills44060
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nothing at all I bought my Howards second hand in 2002.