Castle Driver replacement

AdamPV

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I have a lovely pair of Castle Severn speakers, only one of the drivers has been blown (by the previous owner).

Does anyone know if these fit? I'm thinking about buying two.

The total size of the drivers is 6 inches including the outer metal rim, 5 inches including the rubber surround, or 4 inches just the cone.

Otherwise, if someone can tell me a better place to get a replacement I would very much appreciate it :thumbsup:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I'm a bit of a noob at this audio malarkey but if I were you I'd email the seller and ask him. Also make sure that the driver is of the same ohmage as the ones you are replacing. I'm guessing that you should replace both sides at the same time to get an even sound and to have both speakers pulling an equivalent load from you amp. HTH.

I'm a bit of a noob at this audio malarkey but if I were you I'd email the seller and ask him. Also make sure that the driver is of the same ohmage as the ones you are replacing. I'm guessing that you should replace both sides at the same time to get an even sound and to have both speakers pulling an equivalent load from you amp. HTH.

And I imagine you should be careful, since every driver has a characteristic response, and won't behave the same within the same cabinet... And there is also the matching at the crossover frequencies... and for sure a lot more I don't really know about :rolleyes: So I guess your best bet would be to contact Castle...

Are Castle still trading? I heard a rumour (read somewhere) that they'd sold up - could be wrong though.

It is right, but they must still provide service for loudspeakers already produced and sold, AFAIK. That's how it works for any company, istn't it?

Hi,

Castle Acoustics went bust in October 06, so no longer in business. They sold the brand name to the Chinese owners of Wharfedale, Mission, Quad, etc (IAG). I suggest that you contact them for more information.

Audio15

Hello Audio15,

am I right thinking that in any case they must be able to supply parts for a good while?

I mean, they were giving 5 years warranty, so...

FYI, IAG are carrying NO spares for Castle speakers and believe supply of any will be very limited to non existent. :mad: And obviously they carry no responsibility re guarantee etc

They simply bought the brand/name from the receivers

Hello,

my dealer told me today that there are plenty of spares, but they cannot be touched until the situation is solved. After that, we can only hope... And I am despite of this seriously thinking about buying some Richmond 7i!

Hello,

my dealer told me today that there are plenty of spares, but they cannot be touched until the situation is solved. QUOTE]

Your dealer has given what appears to be confusing information.

If the brand owners are saying that they don't have any spares, and think there will be very few about then the implication of your dealer's comment is that someone has them without the brand owners' knowledge. If the Receivers had them and the purchaser wanted them surely he would have bought them from the Receiver?

Given that the only Company that has to honour the five year warranty is in Receivership whoever has them can charge for them. So why doesn't whoever has got them start to let people know so that he can sell them to people who want them?

You say they cannot touch them until the situation is solved. What needs solving? A company has gone bust and the name has been bought by someone else. What else is there to happen?

The brand owner might even be happy for someone to set up mending old product. I can't see that its any skin of their noses. Probably helps them.

So your comment 'until the situation is solved' is confusing me.

Is it the dealer that wishes to sell you some castle Richmonds?

Well, you answer the question yourself, I believe.

Sorry, I am not a native English speaker, and I know very little about business... But as you say, the company is in receivership, and at some point it will be decided what to do, which will probably be to start production in China. Same names, same logo, different sound and finish quality. Meanwhile, the whole property remains untouched. The problem seems to be (again, no idea about business...) that debts must be paid to many persons, and selling just one driver should split sat 50 pounds in many small parts. I have no idea anyway.

Yes, he offered me a pair of sealed Richmond 7i at a very good price (I compared with prices available on line), and no, he has no bad intentions. He made clear that there won't be 5 year guarantee from Castle if I buy them, and that spares won't be available although they physically exist. He can only offer the german 2 year guarantee in case of malfunction. If no repair is possible, I should be getting a refund, I imagine (I don't know the german law in detail anyway, but there must be consumer rights somewhere, or so I'd like to believe).

Actually, he can only get the speakers through another dealer friend of him, I told him I was looking for something and he made the effort to see what's available around.

Hi - saw your earlier post about castle Severn drivers. Did you ever find where to get them. I'm in exactly the same situation (except I blew mine myself!) and need one or possibly two. Or maybe buy your good one if you have scrapped the pair.
Hope to hear from you
Chas
PS please email to [email protected] as my usual email is not working right now.

You can get castle drivers repaired by Mike Laisler Audio Repar in York, 01904 761 043.

I have dealt with him recently, he has the majority of reconing kits and diaphrams from castles old stock I believe.

To the guy with the blown Severn Driver, is the driver still functioning but making a flapping sound? check the rear orange suspension on the driver, it is prown to dry up and come away on those units and easy to repair yourself
:)

Cheers for the replies, I never did get back with an update.

I removed the driver from the cabinet, looking closely at the coil diaphragm I noticed the glue had gone off letting it flap which produced the effect which I assumed was a blown coil.

With a small screwdriver I scraped off the old glue from beneath the diaphragm then applied some strong epoxy with the same screwdriver, then finally put a small layer on top overlapping to create a seal. Then I turned the driver face down and laid it on a table letting it's own weight press the two surfaces firmly together. I left it like this for two days before fitting the driver back into the cabinet.

The speakers have been used on and off since the repair and I'm pleased to report they haven't displayed the same distortion since.

For anyone else who has this problem, it takes very little effort time and money. I would suggest this could be applied to most older drivers suffering the same fate without having been overloaded beforehand.

Good luck all and thanks again.

You used EPOXY glue to repair your surround? Good luck with that.

Most recommend that you use a softer more flexible glue. Something like Aileen's Fabric Glue is very popular.

If the epoxy glue holds and the speaker works, more power to you. But few would have used such a ridged glue. Even carpenter's wood glue would have been more flexible. Though, wood glue is not specifically recommended.

I believe Wilmslow has glue specifically for speakers.

Still, it is done now, and as I said, good luck with that.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
You used EPOXY glue to repair your surround? Good luck with that.

Most recommend that you use a softer more flexible glue. Something like Aileen's Fabric Glue is very popular.

If the epoxy glue holds and the speaker works, more power to you. But few would have used such a ridged glue. Even carpenter's wood glue would have been more flexible. Though, wood glue is not recommended.

Still, it is done now, and as I said, good luck with that.

Steve/bluewizard

No, I used epoxy to reattach the diaphragm to the magnet behind the cone.

You can get castle drivers repaired by Mike Laisler Audio Repar in York, 01904 761 043.

I have dealt with him recently, he has the majority of reconing kits and diaphrams from castles old stock I believe.

To the guy with the blown Severn Driver, is the driver still functioning but making a flapping sound? check the rear orange suspension on the driver, it is prown to dry up and come away on those units and easy to repair yourself
:)
Hi there, FYI Mike Laisler (RIP) passed away 18 month's ago sadly his widow told me when I made enquiries for driver's for my ISIS speaker's , in better news, his son Steve has taken over and can be contacted on; (+44) 07739106655 , could you please remove Mike's number as his widow is still being called and is at her wits end she's still grieving and could do without the reminders, hope this helps everyone in their search for Castle quality, IAG have ruined the ethos of pride in workmanship and reputation of a legendary British company

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom