Question Casting YouTube audio to my hifi

jonnybee123

Hi all,
Is there a way to cast YouTube audio to my hifi via my phone?
I currently have a smart TV with a YouTube app pre installed. I can cast YouTube video and audio from my phone to my TV and listen to it that way but I'll need to have the TV turned on which I'm trying to avoid. The tv's audio is routed via an optical cable to the back of my Bluesound 2. The output of the Bluesound going into my amp so I can enjoy movies in 2.1 channel stereo. I also have a Chromcast Audio in the kitchen wired to seperate spkrs and amp and a spare CCA not being used in the back of a drawer somewhere in the house.
Ideally I'd like to cast YouTube audio only from my android phone to my living room hifi and to the CCA in the kitchen (simultaneously if possible) . I've checked Google Play and there doesn't seem to be a supported app.
The reason I want to do this is because YouTube offers some pretty good alternative songs (artist radio?) to listen to when I search for my favourite oldie track. I think it does it slightly better than Amazon HD Music that I'm currently subscribed to.
Anyone any ideas for a clever (and cheap! ) work around?
Thanks

Last edited:

jonnybee123

Update.
OK I've given it a bit more thought and to my delight and surprise I can listen to YouTube audio through my Bluesound Node 2 if I connect my android phone and Bluesound via Bluetooth and not wifi. It works great. But am still wondering if there's a work around without using bluetooth.
Thanks

Jamie

Distinguished Member
What sort of phone are you using?

Android can cast the phones system audio to a Chromecast (or group of Chromecasts) which can be a workaround to get audio from none supported apps. It's not ideal as notification tones will also get played over your speakers but it does work.

Have you tried the specific YouTube music app at all? That app can cast to CCA and groups made up of CCA and/or regular Chromecasts. I'm not sure the artist radio is the same as you get on the normal YouTube app (I'm still a Google Play Music user for as long as I can be before they can it and force me onto YouTube music) bit the options there in the YT music app so worth trying.

There is a third possibility which I use as a workaround, I have a Chromecast video in my lounge connected to an AVR with zone 2 outputs linking to a second amp in the kitchen. I can play a video in the Lounge and get the audio on my kitchen speakers.

NottsMFC

Plug your spare CCA into your amp, group it with the 1 in the kitchen & that will allow you to cast YT to them simultaneously from your phone using wifi. Should be better quality than BT.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Plug your spare CCA into your amp, group it with the 1 in the kitchen & that will allow you to cast YT to them simultaneously from your phone using wifi. Should be better quality than BT.
Sadly it doesn't quite work like that. The normal YouTube app only exposes video capable Chromecasts, it won't let you select Audio devices or groups.

The YT music app will let you cast to CCAs and groups though

jonnybee123

What sort of phone are you using?

Android can cast the phones system audio to a Chromecast (or group of Chromecasts) which can be a workaround to get audio from none supported apps. It's not ideal as notification tones will also get played over your speakers but it does work.

Have you tried the specific YouTube music app at all? That app can cast to CCA and groups made up of CCA and/or regular Chromecasts. I'm not sure the artist radio is the same as you get on the normal YouTube app (I'm still a Google Play Music user for as long as I can be before they can it and force me onto YouTube music) bit the options there in the YT music app so worth trying.

There is a third possibility which I use as a workaround, I have a Chromecast video in my lounge connected to an AVR with zone 2 outputs linking to a second amp in the kitchen. I can play a video in the Lounge and get the audio on my kitchen speakers.
I'm using a Samsung S7
I couldn't find a specific app in Google play suitable to cast to CCA. I've only CCA's in the house not the video CC's
I've never used video CC's so don't know their capabilities in regards to routing audio.
My connected CCA isn't being seen when I try casting YouTube. It only sees my TV and my NowTV box

NottsMFC

But if you're casting the audio from your device to the group anything you play on it, including YT, will play.

jonnybee123

But if you're casting the audio from your device to the group anything you play on it, including YT, will play.
I'm only using CCA's remember. The CCA is not seeing my attempt to cast YouTube to it unfortunately.

NottsMFC

I'm only using CCA's remember. The CCA is not seeing my attempt to cast YouTube to it unfortunately.
You need to cast your device audio to the CCAs in the Google home app, then any audio from it, including YT will play through the CCAs. Not cast in the YT app.

jonnybee123

You need to cast your device audio to the CCAs in the Google home app, then any audio from it, including YT will play through the CCAs. Not cast in the YT app.
So yes I tried that and that does WORK 👍 🙂 So now I can cast YouTube audio in the kitchen using CCA.
It seems the only way I can have YouTube audio in the front room with the TV off is if I route it through Bluesound via its Bluetooth connection connected to my phone. Not ideal but it's better than nothing I suppose.
I might dig out my spare CCA and see if I can do anything with it in the front room.

NottsMFC

So yes I tried that and that does WORK 👍 🙂 So now I can cast YouTube audio in the kitchen using CCA.
It seems the only way I can have YouTube audio in the front room with the TV off is if I route it through Bluesound via its Bluetooth connection connected to my phone. Not ideal but it's better than nothing I suppose.
I might dig out my spare CCA and see if I can do anything with it in the front room.
You should be able to easily, you can connect the CCA to the AUX input at the front of the amp but I'd get a 3.5mm to RCA cable like the 1 linked & connect to 1 of the RCA inputs on the back. You can then create a group in Google home & cast to both simultaneously if you want.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirekt-Splitter-Auxiliary-Stereo-Shielded/dp/B00FQK4QCM&ved=2ahUKEwipo7nRl5nlAhVNdcAKHaheAH8QFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3elE0xdnHOEL-Ny8056gJC

jonnybee123

You should be able to easily, you can connect the CCA to the AUX input at the front of the amp but I'd get a 3.5mm to RCA cable like the 1 linked & connect to 1 of the RCA inputs on the back. You can then create a group in Google home & cast to both simultaneously if you want.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirekt-Splitter-Auxiliary-Stereo-Shielded/dp/B00FQK4QCM&ved=2ahUKEwipo7nRl5nlAhVNdcAKHaheAH8QFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3elE0xdnHOEL-Ny8056gJC
I think I already have one of those somewhere. I'll dig it out. Thanks

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Try the YT music app.

NottsMFC

You have to subscribe to the premium service though to be able to cast to CCAs directly from the YT music app.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
You have to subscribe to the premium service though to be able to cast to CCAs directly from the YT music app.
Didn't know that. I don't directly subscribe but apparently my GPM sub includes YTM. That's a shame.

Dinther

Novice Member
Hi all,
Is there a way to cast YouTube audio to my hifi via my phone?
I currently have a smart TV with a YouTube app pre installed. I can cast YouTube video and audio from my phone to my TV and listen to it that way but I'll need to have the TV turned on which I'm trying to avoid. The tv's audio is routed via an optical cable to the back of my Bluesound 2. The output of the Bluesound going into my amp so I can enjoy movies in 2.1 channel stereo. I also have a Chromcast Audio in the kitchen wired to seperate spkrs and amp and a spare CCA not being used in the back of a drawer somewhere in the house.
Ideally I'd like to cast YouTube audio only from my android phone to my living room hifi and to the CCA in the kitchen (simultaneously if possible) . I've checked Google Play and there doesn't seem to be a supported app.
The reason I want to do this is because YouTube offers some pretty good alternative songs (artist radio?) to listen to when I search for my favourite oldie track. I think it does it slightly better than Amazon HD Music that I'm currently subscribed to.
Anyone any ideas for a clever (and cheap! ) work around?
Thanks

Yes, I had the same need. Get a second video capable chromecast and name it "Audio" then feed its HDMI signal into a decent HDMI Audio extractor. Now you can open any chromecast enabled app and enjoy audio only.
It is madness, there are great concerts on Netflix but you can't just listen to them. You MUST boot up your 350 watt plank on the wall. Environmentally friendly eh.

Not sure if it is approved yet. But I wrote this article today

Last edited: