Casting while using smartdnsproxy, difficult

shimself

Standard Member
So.
Our TV is not smart.
I live in one country but get a lot of my content from the UK. To the point that I have a second router with its own wifi ssid dedicated to smartdnsproxy (like a vpn). We have a roku so can get iplayer, itv, ch4 etc
But my (new, supplied by my isp) android tv box uses the primary router to get local content. The problem arises when I want to cast UK content to the TV, because obv the streaming apparatus (an old smartphone) needs to be on the same primary wifi as the android tv box but needs to be on the secondary wifi to get the content.

Maybe use hdmi, but that's inconvenient to change channels, freeze and rewind etc.
Erm, I've seen cables micro usb to hdmi, but I suspect most phones can't do that.
Use an old pc and hdmi instead of an old phone?

Maybe buy a second android tv box and connect that to the secondary UK router?

Any better ideas please?

NatTheGooner

When you “cast” the device is usually is sent the stream info from your device and then connects to it directly itself, so you might need to put the DNS numbers in on the receiving device too.
I might be wrong on this but that’s how Airplay used to work for streamed content.

NatTheGooner

If you can split your WiFi networks into 2.4 & 5ghz with different names you can then use the smart dns on 2.4 and keep 5ghz standard for example

mitch

Distinguished Member
So.
Our TV is not smart.
I live in one country but get a lot of my content from the UK. To the point that I have a second router with its own wifi ssid dedicated to smartdnsproxy (like a vpn). We have a roku so can get iplayer, itv, ch4 etc
But my (new, supplied by my isp) android tv box uses the primary router to get local content. The problem arises when I want to cast UK content to the TV, because obv the streaming apparatus (an old smartphone) needs to be on the same primary wifi as the android tv box but needs to be on the secondary wifi to get the content.

Maybe use hdmi, but that's inconvenient to change channels, freeze and rewind etc.
Erm, I've seen cables micro usb to hdmi, but I suspect most phones can't do that.
Use an old pc and hdmi instead of an old phone?

Maybe buy a second android tv box and connect that to the secondary UK router?

Any better ideas please?
Get an ATV and use smartdnsproxy on that.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom