1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Casting of Aragorn

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by BallJoint, Apr 8, 2003.

1. BallJoint

BallJoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    During one the extras of FOTR:EE Peter Jackson makes a reference to Aragorn and the fact that Viggo Mortensen was not originally cast as this character. In fact they changed their minds at the last minute and decided that the actor originally chosen was too young for the role. Does anyone have any idea who this might have been?

Sorry if this has been asked before. It's just that it has been bugging me a bit recently.

2. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was an Irish actor called Stuart Townsend. Not sure what he has been in before.

3. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Close call there then, he was in Queen of the Damned. Can't imagine him as Aragorn myself.

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Stuart Townsend is a very good actor - don't judge him on Queen Of The Damned as it was dreadful by all accounts. You might have seen him in Shooting Fish, Resurrection Man, About Adam and the forthcoming Leage Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I'm sure he would have played the part well but they obviously felt he lacked something - I thought it was his decision to pull out though :confused:.

That said, Viggo Mortensen played Aragorn perfectly.

5. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was PJ that got rid of Stuart Townsend because he felt that he did not look old enough to project the right sort of aura onto the screen. I guess it was one of those things that when he cast him he thought that he did look right for the role but when he was put onto film he just did not look the part.

Apparently he was sacked after 4 days of filming - you would be gutted after being cast in one of the biggest films of all time :suicide:

6. BallJoint

BallJoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys. Must admit that I've not heared of or seen Stuart Townsend. It must be bad enough being sacked after starting work on any film, but, as you say Ian, when that film turns out to be the biggest of the year and the first of three, he must be somewhat upset.

7. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My other half thinks that Viggo Mortenson was perfect in the role - or I think that's what she said - she was drooling at the time ;)

Perhaps I need to get all dressed up in leathers :devil:

8. chriskenrick

chriskenrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree with all of the above, Viggo _is_ Aragorn. Personally I think he is probably one of the best actors in the film, on the same level as the two Ians. My wife loves him for his diction, of all things.:rotfl:

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Even Viggo was too old for the part, if you ask me. I'd always imagined Aragorn as looking about 45. (Actually much older than he looks, of course, as Numenorean men have much longer lifespans than ordinary men).

10. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Stuart Townsend, sounds like a Football player.

Viggo Mortenson, sounds like a King.

Need I say more?