Question Cast to Fire TV

BobA51

Standard Member
Apologies if this has been covered I did try searching without any luck, but it has been covered feel free to point me in the right direction.

whilst at my parents when I activate cast on my Android phone I can see their FireTV as an option and can successfully cast to it, at home I have 2 FireTVs I can see neither as a cast device.

I've checked and the firmware's the same on my FireTVs as my parents, all are Ethernet connected.

Any idea's/suggestions welcome?

Bob

next010

Distinguished Member
Most likely a network discovery issue.

Either the firewall or security settings on the router are blocking it or the router does not have IGMP multicast enabled which is typically used by various devices for auto network discovery. You'd have to login to the router and have a look around.

BobA51

Standard Member
Most likely a network discovery issue.

Either the firewall or security settings on the router are blocking it or the router does not have IGMP multicast enabled which is typically used by various devices for auto network discovery. You'd have to login to the router and have a look around.

Thanks next010,
That was along the lines I was thinking, I ran a wireshark trace on my PC trying to cast and definitely see only responses from my Google devices, at the moment I'm thinking my ASUS Router is filtering the Ethernet connected FireTV differently as all the Google devices are wireless.

I'll try putting the FireTV on WiFi initially which is the easiest way to test the above theory and take it from there.

Cheers,

Jamie

Distinguished Member
If you haven't already I'd also suggest a quick reboot of the router is in order before using time to trace an issue. I've often found similar issues in the past being resolved by a reboot.

BobA51

Standard Member
Tried putting the FireTV on Wifi, still no joy, but found I can connect FiretV to Youtube via the view on TV code (or something like that) which is all I really wanted to cast for so sorted for the moment.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions, but unless I stumble across a fix in the meantime in which case I'll post an update, otherwise I'll close this thread.

Bob

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom