1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cast Away, superb audio

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jGrahamD, Jun 6, 2002.

1. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's probably all been said before, but this film is worth watching/hearing for the sound alone. The surround effects are incredibly effective. In many films, surround is more of a novelty, but in Cast Away it really does add another dimension. The plane crash sequence is almost disturbing. When the aircraft depressurises, wind howls around the room. Rain is so realistic it will have you looking out the window to check the weather. Waves crash on the beach with a thundering roar. HIghly recommended.

2. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I agree, I watched it again recently and the sound design is excellent. When the plane crashes and that propellor explodes - my ears nearly packed up! Also the ambient effects all the way through the film are superb, they really place you on the island.

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I agree - Castaway has one of the best (DTS) soundtracks & when you watch/listen to the extras & see the lengths they went to to get the sound right this is hardly suprising ...
    also ...
    I think it's the commentary that mentions how & where they filmed the scene where Hanks is standing on the highest point of the Island (in a car park at Burbank Studios I think he says! - I was absolutely gobsmacked :eek:)
    Paul ;)