Cassette deck info

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by davidb71, Nov 1, 2005.

1. davidb71

davidb71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know they're outdated but I want to buy a cassette deck separate unit to play into my PC to record deleted tapes to cd. Anyone able to recommend a particular manufacturer that were great at these units. There are loads available (on Ebay for eg), Sony, Denon, Teac, Yamaha, Technics etc but I'm not sure if any were deemed the better brand. Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks.
    David.

2. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    the best : nakamichi
    better : aiwa
    the rest : pioneer , yamaha etc..

3. A.N.

A.N.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nak - great at the higher end ie cr7, dragon, above average the rest.
    sony - the ones worth considering are the tc-k611s superb s/h value, or the tc-k6es.
    yammy - 580 still gets good reviews, not heard it tho.

:thumbsup:

4. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    £30-40 should give you the pick of good decks on ebay. The Sony 611 and Yamaha 580 are both great. I currently have a Denon DRM800 and a Yamaha 393. The Yamaha is particularly good for play back as it has a variable 'play trim' control which allows you to control the presence and can really help dull recordings. Whatever you get condition is everything and make sure you get a head cleaner.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,672
    If you have a budget of £200 or thereabouts,buy a Nakamichi....still sound good,built like battleships and can still be serviced/repaired.

For less,the old Yamaha "ski-slope" deck was pretty good,as were many of the TEAC models...my own experiences would make me recommend either a Nak,or failing that,a TEAC,which were also very well made and sounded fine.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Look out for the Naks, I use 2 and they are great. Mt Dragon surprizes everyone, many can't tell it appart from CD / vinyl (good kit). They hate it as they have been so iffy of the format!!

Naks are loved by many and therefore I think they will have a better chance of long term support if failures occur (rare) or a service is needed (good practice). Try to get a three header if poss but I would take a 2 header Nak over 3 headers from the competition.

Top Pioneer was also top quality and the Arcam 100.

Sony 611 was liked in it's time at a different point.

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,008
    Seconded for that deck- good real world performer and very very strong.

8. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You could do worse than having a look at the higher end Kenwood decks. A few years back I went along to demo a Yamaha (580?), a Sony (not sure on model) and the shop threw in a Kenwood in to the demo. To my mind (and surprise) the Kenwood came across as by far the more musical of the three, so I came home with it. I think it's a KX3510, although can't be sure because I don't use it any more... (now if you're interested I'm happy to demo :D :D :D )

Seriously though, there's tons on Ebay so you can take your pick. I'd definitely stick with one of the more major names (already mentioned in previous posts) from a reliability point of view. Alternatively keep an eye out in your local paper - the big advantage this has over Ebay is that you can demo. Seeing as cassette decks are largely mechanical in nature you want to be sure you're getting a good low mileage example that still works well...

Good luck.

9. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I've got a 3 headed Sony (611S I think, can't remember model num), dolby S etc......
    not had any problems with it at all, I never use any of the NR facilities as I think it takes the space away from the music.

Just use decent tapes.
    the 3 heads allow you to monitor the recording as you make it, so you can do direct comparisons to the source. (very handy). - but if you only want the deck for playback, then 2 heads will suffice.

I'd still try to go for a Nak first though.

10. davidb71

davidb71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey didn't expect such a wealth of replies. Thanks folks. Am currently looking at a Nak BX300E. It's 3 head and has all sorts of features. As it will be for playback only it may be a bit of overkill, but the controls on it will help me tweak the sound.

I like the comments about servicing, didn't consider that. Ta.

The other thing I didn't consider is the fact that, unlike my turntable which has a preamp and plugs straight into my sound card, I'm prob gonna need an amp to feed the tape deck into before going into the computer. Unless anyone knows if the nicer tape decks will output all on their own?

Thanks again all.
    David.

11. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    All of the tape decks mentioned here will output line level signals which could be plugged straight into your sound card.
    (only very old machines with DIN connectors might need amplification, but probably even they might work.

12. Spenny

Spenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you are looking for a Nakamichi try ebay.de they are alot cheaper than buying from ebay.co.uk.

I have 4 Nakamichi Cassette Decks all in mint condition and they all came from ebay at bargain prices!

For the purpose you are suggesting a BX150E would be fine, here's one finishing in 3 hours currently at 23 euros!

Nakamichi BX150E

Good luck

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,672
    d.ten....read the forum rules regarding sales.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/view.php?pg=trading_rules&

NO PMs until a sale is complete,and all done in the sales area of the forum...I'm sure your offer is well intentioned,but this is for everyone's protection,yours included...thank you.

14. davidb71

davidb71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Warpaint thankyou for that. That's good to know.

Spenny, thanks for the mention but I'd rather buy from in the UK.
    Sorry you got told off :)

Looks like Naks are a clear favourite though. I'm gonna go shopping.

15. GregAspland

GregAspland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One note of caution. I bought a used Nakamichi on e-bay, and found that it was in dire need of servicing. Since I didn't pay much for it, I abandoned it. The cost of servicing would depend on how much needed doing, but budget 100 to 200 GBP. There's an official UK service company out there still.

16. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,672
    If you have concerns about ebay,you could try The Emporium,where there are usually quite a few lying around...I've been there several times for various things,and always been amazed at the collection of stuff that Nick has for sale.

www.emporiumhifi.com

17. davidb71

davidb71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100-200GBP crumbs. There is a good selection of quality brand units at almost "disposable" prices so i'd prob do like you did, abandon one and get another. Have a couple of NAKs, a Sony and a Yamaha I'm watching at the mo so we shall see what prices they go for.

18. GregAspland

GregAspland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dug out the quote I got earlier this year for servicing a Nakamichi BX-150E:
    <
    A standard service on this model is usually anything between £80 and £140, depending on exactly what parts are required.
    If it needed a head, then this would add another £60.00.
    >
    Then add postage...

I'd say the best bet for the original poster is a new deck, perhaps a Yamaha KX580SE for around 200 pounds.

I'd also like to point out that recording to a PC relies on the sound card having a good analogue to digital converter. Something which I wouldn't put money on. As someone who likes to keep a divide between PC and Hi-Fi, I'd be inclined to get an audio CD recorder such as the Sony RCD-W100, again for around 200 pounds. The only real disadvantage of this is the need to buy audio specific CD-R discs, as ordinary PC discs wont work.

A few years back, I found myself in a similar position, wanting to copy my tapes to another format. That was when I got in to MiniDisc. What an underrated format that is - too many advantages to list here. So versatile. Still, its lack of popularity may be enough to put you off it.

I hope this helps, rather than confuses :)

19. davidb71

davidb71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Greg. Thanks for all your comments. I'm not looking for a cd-copier, my pc or better yet my dvd recorder will do that for me. I totally agree with your minidisc thought though. I have a sony mini recordable unit and it is just superb. Mine was the original posting though and I still require a cassette unit I can plug straight into the PC or else I'm transferring twice. I have a good built in sound card but I have been thinking about getting a dedicated one, possiblya creative external, to really do all my copying from mag-cas & vinyl justice.

These days too it's getting more and more difficult to keep hifi and pc apart. Lossless recording into WMP with track markers means you don't have to, especially with all the lovely wifi broadcasting units available now. Oops, I'm risking taking this thread off topic now.

Watching a Sony tck-611s at the mo. Looks pretty!
    Cheers
    David.

20. michael orme

michael orme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A good cassette deck is a Yamaha KX580SE. It has dolby: B,C,and the new S. A magazine tested it, and said the sound was better than a mini disk deck, but not as good for editing. Dolby "S" is very good, at normal playback levels, there is no hiss.
    One area where this deck scores above others, is it ability at playing back tapes not recorded on this machine.
    In the UK this deck with two year warranty goes for £140 to £240. Don't buy lesser models, they don't have dolby "S". Don't buy the non SE model, these are the mark one, and have problems sorted on the SE. There is nothing better at this price.
    Michael Orme. Rhyl UK.

21. michael orme

michael orme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

22. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Well Nakamichi's are the best decks in my view.. I had an RX505 many years ago - The unusual fixed head auto reverse model with the spinning swivel door mechanism.. It was surely a head turner :eek: Fabulous engineering and a fabulous sound.. No dolby S though.. I wish i kept it now, it would of be worth a fortune now :( It was also made famous in the film 9 1/2 weeks with Micky Rourke and Kim Basinger :D

Yamaha decks are usually great sounding and well built too .. Option of remote control and great prices as well :thumbsup: