1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CASIO Exilim EX-Z30/40

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by 227 BHA, Apr 18, 2004.

1. 227 BHA

227 BHA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at purchasing a CASIO Exilim EX-Z3/4 or the newer Exilim EX-Z30/40's.

They have all the features I need in a small size but still with a large 2" screen.

Anyone have any good/bad points to make on these machines?

Realise ther is quite a jump in price from the older Z3 up to the newer Z40 - which should I go for or any better reccommendations??

2. Flipper

Flipper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I bought a Z3/30 ? last year. Not sure which one but it was the latest one out around Sep 03.

I liked the fact that it had a largish LCD and that it easily fits in a trouser pocket.

I read a comparison review of the Z3 and it didn't come out top for picture quality. However I am pleased with the photos I have taken and printed. It takes quite good marco shots.

Even my wife loves it, she no longer uses her analog Pentax that I bought her 6 months before I got the Casio.

Mike.

3. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I returned my Z40 after 1 week of ownership. I loved how it felt in the hand - well made, solid, neat. The 2" screen was great for aiding composition and reading the menus (except in sunlight, when it was much harder to see than my 1.5" Nikon screen) and that Casio was VERY quick to start-up!

However, the camera had a fault with maintaining clear focus across the whole of the image. The bottom left, and top right corners were distinctly blurred.

Whether this was a lens alignment issue on that particular camera, or a common problem, I don't know.
    What I will admit to is, I was relieved that this problem was evident, as I was quite disappointed with the image quality overall and it gave me a genuine reason to return the camera to the retailer...(none of the 60-70 images I took looked that detailed, they all looked 'soft'.) I couldn't find a setting to improve this either.

I have been using a Nikon 775 (2MP, 3x zoom) for a couple of years. This is a cracking (now basic spec.) camera, with a super little lens. The clarity of focus is way better than the Casio. It also has the advantage, for me, of not relying upon a 'Scene Mode' (which Casio call BEST SHOT) buried in the menu system to change settings on the camera. You only have to turn the dial between shots for different settings.

BTW, there is no printed manual for the Casio which is a pain, and if you do go to the trouble of printing it (or the most relevant bits of the 170+ pages, anyway) you find no explanation of how the different Best Shot mades change the camera settings. What mode do you pick, say, for a fast shutter as there is no 'Sports' mode to select?

I emailed Casio to ask for their recommended mode/setting for this which I could then save in one of the USER Best Shot memories.
    I suggested that they might like to release it as a firmware upgrade available to all owners via their website, but they haven't answered yet, and that was 12 days ago.

My colleague at work (who was a professional portrait photographer in a previous life) has bought the Pentax S4i, and is satisfied with the results he gets from it.
    This is his "point-and-shooter" to slip in his pocket, he also has a Nikon 5700 for when he feels the creative urge.

The Casio and the Pentax cameras are VERY similar (same lens, same resolution, same start-up and shutter delay times, both have 21 Best Shot modes - incl. a 'Food Mode'- why?, both use a docking station for download to pc/charging etc.), but there are a few differences of note:
    1) Beach/Snow scene mode in Pentax, not in Casio. (Neither have a Sports mode, though.)
    2)Adjustment for Sharpening/Saturation in Pentax, not in Casio. Might help imrove the 'softness' of the image I saw in the Casio.

I am now torn between replacing the Casio with the Pentax (small, cute, limited manual control), the Olympus 765 (chunky, not cute, 10x opt. zoom, loads of manual controls), or possibly either the Nikon 5700 (copying work colleague, 6x opt.zoom, handles nicely) or the Panasonic FZ10 (big, 12x opt zoom, lush, chunky, Image stabiliser, 1.2lb in weight)

Where's that Je**ops catalogue, again? :rolleyes:

drago.d

4. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Drago D, I would definitely go for the Pentax over the Casio, my only gripe with it is the 'poxy' feel of the controls, but if you are buying a camera that size then I would imagin there is almost no need to altar settings anyway. As Drago said there is little between them but my personal preference would be the Pentax Optio S4i.

By the way Drago I have the Panasonic FZ10 and it is truly lovely. Highly reccomended

5. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've managed to spend a few minutes with the Panny, and I was disappointed to find how small the grip is.
    I have LARGE hands, and after 5 mins of holding the camera, I could feel cramp setting in :(

That's one off the list, then ;)

cheers,

drago.d

6. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Decision made!

Last week I bought the new Olympus c765uz.

It was a toss-up with that and the Pentax 555. (The Pentax proved to be too slow at everything , and the small screen also counted against it.)

The 4Mp Olympus has all the manual modes you'd want, that fast (f2.8 wide - f3.7 tele) 10x optical zoom, focus/AE lock, a 1.8" screen, and there are add-on lens converters available, too.

To begin with I thought the Olympus was going to be rather too large (as a compact camera) but it's surprising how size isn't an issue when you've chosen a cracking camera :thumbsup:

The only negative is the manual in pdf form on CD.

drago.d

ps. Still want an Optio S4i, though!

7. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good choice mate, I considered waiting for the 765 but realised the panasonic had everything i wanted anyway! The 765 is a fantastic little camera i had a play around with one a couple of days ago, and I am not generally an Olympus fan but found it most pleasant indeed!

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,198
    Have you tried the movie part of the camera as I was at a site the other day here and saw clip and though it was a bit jerky (cannot get the 770 one to work).

9. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've only had a brief try with the movie mode, and I would agree it's not fantastic, but it does at least work.

Since my last post in this thread I've also bought a Nikon 5200 as a point-and-shooter (not quite as small as the Casio Z40 or Pentax S4i, but small enough). :D
    The movie mode on the 5200 really is astounding!

BTW, another useful feature is the orange focus assist light it projects in low light levels, which does a great job even in a completely pitch black room!

drago.d