Cashing cheques.

Soundburst

In Memoriam
Reaction score
Hey,

Was wondering if anyone could help. Over the next month or two I will have no week days off in my main job. However, I'm expecting a big enough cheque over the next few days for some freelance work I've done.

Is it possible for me to write, and sign, a letter giving permission for a family member to go to my bank to cash a cheque into my account on my behalf? Or is this prohibited.

Thanks for any help :)

As far as I know, anyone can cash a cheque for you. They simply take the paying in slip and hand it in with the cheque to your bank.

What he said. You don't even need a paying in slip for most banks. You just take the Account Number and Sort Code.

I think you have missed quite what Soundburst has asked. He wants to give someone one of his cheques and them go into the bank and the bank give them cash for it. Is that right, or have I misunderstood?

Anyone can pay a cheque into a bank, but no bank will let you take a random cheque in and they give you cash straight away. Cheque fraud would be unbelievable if this was allowed.

I want the money from the cheque to go into my bank account using my bank account number an sort code if I give those details to the family member, or my cash card.

So I can do that anyway? :eek:

you can pay it in at a cash machine, and then withdraw the money from the cash machine after <some time>

If your bank has given you a Debit Card with your bank account, then you can post the cheque to your bank and then withdraw the funds when they have cleared using the card.

By the way, I don't know whether your branch is a Main Branch or a Sub Branch but post it as fast as you can and to a Main Branch not a Sub -Branch. The idea is to get this to your bank account as quick as possible and start off the cheque into the clearing process.

The clearing process can take around three days or sometimes more. Sometimes it can be very quick, particularly if you are banking say a Lloyds cheque from someone else into your own Lloyds bank account.

When you present the cheque into your account it doesn't mean you have the value of the cheque as immediate 'Cleared Funds' available for your immediate withdrawal.

A really good way of getting the funds into your account, particularly if the amount is less than the Faster Payments Limit, would be to ask the person paying out the money to do it as a Faster Payment instead of writing you a cheque. The money could be into your account within at least a couple of hours and this can be done 24/7 and not just during banking hours. Obviously, you need a really helpful person or firm to do this for you as the funds leaves their account quicker too. If their cash flow is bad, then they might not want this to happen.

Lastly, and like i said at the start, can you not use your bank account Debit Card at an ATM or 'hole in the wall'? This facility is really handy to have as most Supermarkets or Convenience Stores have one outside their entrance door.

I want the money from the cheque to go into my bank account using my bank account number an sort code if I give those details to the family member, or my cash card.

So I can do that anyway? :eek:

yes

someone can pay a cheque into the bank for you, i've got people to do that for me before, or just pay it in at an ATM machine, which is what i do now

Aaaah. I thought because my name was on it , they'd need me to personally go to my bank and cash it in :) Thanks for all the help.

I could have given my details to the person (they live in London) but I don't feel safe emailing bank details on the Internet so asked for a cheque instead.

Thanks for all your help!

Doh!

Just re-read your question and Greg's remark. It's you who are going to be writing your own cheque.

Make the cheque out to 'Cash'.

Uncross the cheque by writing 'Pay Cash' inside the area of the cheque where the two crossing lines are (where it says "& Co"). Then sign inside the lines too so as to indicate that you have 'Uncrossed' the cheque. It is not now a crossed cheque and is an uncrossed cheque. If there are funds in the account to cover the amount and the cheque is cashed at your bank, then the cashier can check on things and should release the funds as you intended things to happen.

I'm not writing my own cheque. The client from London is writing a cheque to me and I wanted to write a letter and sign it that a family member could bring to the bank, with the cheque, and my bank details - to deposit the cheque into my account.

Apparently I can just give the cheque to my mother and my bank details without the need for a letter :)

Doh!

Just re-read your question and Greg's remark. It's you who are going to be writing your own cheque.

No it isn't :D He is being sent a cheque from someone else written out to the OP in payment for some Free Lance work. He wants it paid into his account, but can't get to the bank himself and wanted to know if a third party could take it to the bank and pay it in on his behalf. To which the answer is yes :thumbsup:

(His first post was slightly ambiguous as he said "cash it into my account" when he meant "pay it into my account")

Edit: Soundburst beat me too it, he seems to be sorted :)

I'm not writing my own cheque. The client from London is writing a cheque to me and I wanted to write a letter and sign it that a family member could bring to the bank, with the cheque, and my bank details - to deposit the cheque into my account.

Apparently I can just give the cheque to my mother and my bank details without the need for a letter :)

Correct.

I could have given my details to the person (they live in London) but I don't feel safe emailing bank details on the Internet so asked for a cheque instead.

Your bank account number and sort code are not confidential information - they are printed on every cheque that you give away.

JOakey said:
Your bank account number and sort code are not confidential information - they are printed on every cheque that you give away.

Oh really :O That's a bit scary!

Anywho thanks for all the help everyone. I'll send my mother to the bank for me when I get the chance :):)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom