Cashback sites... your experiences?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by leamspaceman, Nov 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    I'm just wondering what people's experiences are with cashback sites like Quidco and Topcashback?

I'm a little annoyed with Quidco and Currys right now.

Quidco shows 5% cashback on console sales at Currys. However, they have a flat rate of 1% on 'reserve and collect.'

I bought a PS4 Pro bundle from Currys online yesterday. I had to pay for the item online and choose to have it delivered to home or local store. I chose local store. The item was NOT in stock at the store to reserve and collect.

But, guess what, the cashback has tracked at £2.50 which is the reserve and collect rate.

Should have been £12.50 as this is the 5% for consoles rate.

I've raised a claim.

I've been with Quidco since 2006 and have had nearly £800 cashback in total... but if everything had tracked correctly it'd be double that.

I remember buying 2 Wii U's at launch via Topcashback and should have got £50 cashback. I got nothing and the retailer blamed Topcashback and they blamed the retailer. First and only time I've used Topcashback.

Quidco are pretty good to be honest but still you don't always get the cashback promised.

2. jassco

jassco
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,255
    Cashback is always a bonus for me, so I'll never make a purchasing decision solely on the cashback available. Often for bigger things like Virgin / Sky, if you phone them up and say you've seen the cashback offer, they'll beat it if you sign up with them directly.

3. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,505
    I'm a Quidco user, and the odd time something doesn't track but the majority do for me.
    To date I've had almost £1200 back, and at a guess in total only about £100 that didn't pay out.

To be honest, I use it, but I don't pay any attention to it until I get a notification that a payment is available. I see it as free money every now and then.

4. Robothamster

Robothamster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,571
    Same with me and Quidco.

TBH I've had it about 9 years and nearly always forget about it. 2 months ago I was reminded to use it when I took out new car insurance with Aviva (£190 for a year paid upfront) and this week I got back £47 from then which I'm pretty happy about.

I also bought a drone from Maplin and was meant to get 4% cashback but it didn't track automatically, so have raised a claim and several days later still waiting to see where that goes.

5. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,164
    Been using two for a couple of years and have only had a couple of small ones not go through and one large that took a while but paid in the end.

Not bad sometimes getting money back when you've already saved money through another site.

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    I'm similar to the above, about £2,000 cashback to date and less than 10% that has had any unresolved/significant debate over it.

The only time I am ever in two minds is where there is say a 7.5% cashback but I have a 5% promo code. Do I go for the guaranteed lower discount or take a risk on a higher rate cashback. Most the time I try and do both and in many cases I end up getting both despite the T&Cs.

7. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35,126
    Have had a lot of success with Quidco - £thousands over the years - £350 this year for moving two ISAs which I was about to do anyway. Finding it increasingly rare that something doesn't track, and most of that gets resolved quickly. Most of the cashbacks I get are for 'big ticket' items like phones, insurance which tend to be £5 to £50 cashback at a time.

8. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35,126
    As I always mention, if you get into Quidco then install the browser plugin and app. I find it often pops up when I wouldn't think about it - like when I go to book a holiday or something - just click on that and get £5/10/20/40 off the thing you were about to buy :)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. gg13533

gg13533

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +535
    Have used both Quidco & Topcashback for a few years now. Have had the odd issue with both as mentioned above either not tracking or at the wrong amount. As others have said the purchasing decision is not based on the cash back but is a bonus. For airport car parking I've often found that you get a higher price going via the cash back site which negates the cash back, so often go direct. Where is get most benefit is via home/car insurance renewals or utilities.

10. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Another Quidco user, another one in the 'it's a bonus' camp. I don't buy things because of the cashback, it's just a nice thing to get when you do. That said, I think I've only had one thing declined when I didn't think it should have been. Only had to raise one other claim and that was upheld so all fine.

Being able to be paid in Amazon vouchers and get a bit of a bonus on top is, well, another bonus for me.

I found that when I moved from the AA to the RAC last year. Was still a little bit less to go via Quidco, but that came with the gamble of tracking and being confirmed.

11. The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +852
    Cash-back from these sites is worked out on the price before VAT as far as I'm aware.

12. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    It varies by retailer on if P&P or VAT is factored in.... ultimately it makes little difference as one that excludes VAT could just drop the rate slightly and then say its the gross price rather than the net.

13. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,192
    I can't recommend topcashback. Been with them for years but only tracked £12 of item. Most of my purchases have not tracked and then get rejected after waiting months. This is with no ad blocking or anything else that might stop tracking.

14. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,570
    I just use tesco, get around £30 back a month for grocery spends, also vouchers for Tesco Direct, usually £50 a year.

15. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,560
    I used Quidco for over 10 years and KidStart for 5 years, I find KidStart pays out far quicker than Quidco. I’ve had as much cash back from KidStart as I have from Quidco in half the time, mainly because KidStart offer cash back at John Lewis :)

16. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,241
    Always try to avoid reserve and collect (appreciate that the OP didn't strictly do this) because your consumer rights are worse than if you have it delivered to your house.

Cheers,

Nigel

17. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,316
    Can't remember the last time I bought anything that attracted any cash back from Quidco. Like most things, in the old days, things were much better.

18. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,505
    This is always a good time of the year for me using Quidco. This week I've bought 2 pairs of of trainers from JD Sports with 6% cashback and booked 3 hotel rooms at 10% cashback (Hotels.com). A few other Christmas presents have been ordered via quidco (10% back from Tottenham online store).
    My home and pet insurance is up in January and we generally book our summer holiday around now as well.
    As above, using the app reminds you when cashback is available when you are browsing so you don't have to miss anything.

19. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +17,278
    Use Quidco/TCB all the time. Usually choose the one that gives the higher cashback (mostly TCB). See it as a bonus for cheap purchases, but always factor it in with the big stuff - insurance and broadband/mobile/utility contracts. If the big stuff doesn't track, which is rare, I will raise a claim, which to date has always been resolved in my favour.

20. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    Does this work on a phone?

I installed the plugin and browsed to various sites but no pop up for Quidco?

21. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,722
    Quidco? Oh hell yes. A picture says more than a thousand words; all items I would have gotten anyway, anyone be stupid to leave this money 'on the table'...

2017-11-23_07-34-31.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  22. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35,126
    No on mobile you have to proactively go through the app or via quidco site

23. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,193
    £4787.10 for me.

Absolute no brainer.

Bought a new phone yesterday for my wife that I was going to get anyway. Over £17 cashback tracked already.

Will get her a new SIM only deal, that will be between £20 and £50 cashback.

All for something I'd buy anyway for the hassle of clicking thru from their site?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  24. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Was with Quidco then Topcashback. Have received over 1k in four years but have had loads refused even though Topcashback have tried to reclaim on my behalf. Told my next door neighbour about it a year ago and her family have already claimed more than I have. Even with the failures it's still been money for nothing.

25. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,560
    Bloody hell guys, I clearly don’t buy enough!

Here are my quidco and KidStart

IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0173.JPG

26. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Its not just how much you buy but what you buy... There are insurance brokers offering over £1,000 cashback on certain life/medical/protection insurances. Car and home insurance can be £50 each per year etc. Some fee free credit cards offer ~£40 which you can get and then dump once the cashback has cleared etc.

If you've been using it for a few years and shop around each year it does quickly add up.

27. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +17,278
    My Quidco and TCB bunce to date ...

Screenshot_20171123-130522.jpg
    Screenshot_20171123-130736.jpg

28. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35,126
    A word of caution is you do need to keep an eye on the cashbacks you have - especially big ticket items. I've had a few which have initially tracked correctly, but then later the cashback amount is reduced then it goes 'confirmed' 'paid'. You need to make sure you get your claim in within the time window for the correct amount.

I'm going through one at the moment with Evans. Bought a bike in July - tracked for £5 cashback - all looked good. Actual payout in August was 22p?! Now in a 'claim' state at the correct amount.

A similar one with a phone from GiffGaff last Black Friday - £50 cashback then reduced to £15 and paid. Took a few months to get that right. Extra tricky when the cashback you are claiming no longer exists (if it is a BF special for example). The Quicdo site is pretty good though and when you put in a claim it usually lists all the cashbacks that have existed so you can pick the right one.