1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases for IPOD Video

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Cardiff Irons, Oct 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone.

I've just seen that my 30GB IPOD has been shipped and I'm nervous as hell about the scratching issues. Does anyone know if there are any cases available yet? I've seen you can pre-order from Speck Products in the US, but you end up paying more in shipping than you do for the costs of the sleeves.

Anyone got any recommendation as to the best type of sleeve. I was leaning towards the rubberised ones, but they also do a hard transluscent plastic (the latter sounds like it could scratch the IPOD just putting the sleeve on :eek: ).

And, last question, am I right in assuming that you can still put the IPOD in the dock with the sleeve on?

Lots of questions. Thanks in advance for any information and help you can give.

Cheers :smashin:

2. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    You get a pretty decent little white one with it, that'll do you until some other company releases something decent. Just keep watching the ilounge product reviews.

3. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. For some reason I thought what you got was more of a bag than a case - can't remember why, I think I saw an image of it somewhere.

Do you know whether you can still use the dock while it's in its case?

Many thanks :smashin:

4. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    whats the case like? is it similar to the 3rd Gen ipod case? i am temepted to upgrade my ipod now. but the thing that holds me back from the video ipod is lack of remote, i always keep my ipod in my bag and use the remote, can you get a remote?

5. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Received my 60G Video Ipod on Friday, the case is a very basic sleeve but will protect the IPOD from scratches, you may not connect the IPOD whilst in the sleeve (only the top will show for your headphones). I would stress that this sleeve is very basic, i will be looking to buy something decent once something is available.

6. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cardiff,

If you can get there, there's the MacExpo at Olympia this Thursday-Saturday. While the show is specifically aimed at Macs, there are also many exhibitors that have products for iPods too. All the new accessories will be there I'm sure. If you can't get there, I would think some others forum members are...

I suspect that very few cases will allow your iPod to be docked with the case on. One of the few I've seen is Belkin's Leather Flip Case:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...oot/MP3Accessories/AppleiPo...essories/ct_Id>

which (although it's for earlier iPods) should fit the iPod with video. Some of the silicon-type cases have a flippable section I think too. I went through several cases when I first got my iPod, with the same aim as you in mind - the dock is far too useful to miss out because of the case, and in the end just mainly use a slip-in belt-clip case (very similar to the Belkin one).

BTW, what's the video playback like? Have you had your iPod plugged into a TV yet? Have you tracked down any iPod movies yet? I expect they'll be available in all the usual places...

7. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tracked down the case I use the most (it's one Apple did for earlier iPods, but I suspect it'll fit yours too, despite yours being a little thinner). Its product code is M9603 on the Apple Store.

Apple will probably be bringing out an updated version specifically for your iPod though.

8. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could always try the thin plastic pda screen covers, i use them on my 60gb photo and the advantage is that it does not add any extra bulk, is seethrough so it still feels the same and it also protects, they are non sticky so leave no residue either. Got some at Maplins for £1.99, have tried various cases in the past from leather, rubber evo skins and clear hard plastic, but always found the extra bulk it added to the ipod was a bit too much,,and at the end of the day i bought the ipod not just for its ease of use but its looks and to cover it up was defeating the whole point.

9. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    You could opt for something like this. Depends on whether you want to carry the iPod in a pocket, or hung on your belt/waistband - if the former, it'll be perfect. If the latter, then you'll need to look at somethin else.
    Bear in mind, the case supplied with my 40GB iPod photo scratched the screen with only a few insertions!
    Been using the one in the link since, well, the last 6 months, and the screen has got no worse - so it's be true to its' claim.

10. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - obviously not as easy as I thought! I'm likely to leave the IPOD in it's dock a fair chunk of time, so I don't really want to be taking it in and out of the case every time I dock!

mick's - I haven't got the new IPOD yet, it's been shipped but will probably take a few days to arrive. No chance of me getting to Olympia this week I'm afraid. Pity, sounds like it could have been a useful excursion.

11. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I'm at the MacExpo, I'll collect as much info on cases and sleeves as I can and post it if you're interested, Cardiff.