Cases and deaths

Lee

Reaction score
Cases look to have levelled off which I guess was expected with schools opening and the mass testing. One school in Birmingham has closed due to an outbreak.

Deaths are falling like a brick. Every death is sad and today there were 17. The rate of drop is much faster than it was last year. Is it a sign the vaccine is working and those who are being admitted to hospital need a bit of treatment and then are sent on their way?

Last edited:
Yep, the vaccine is having a big effect and better treatments as well.

Once you begin to get something like this under control, it's amazing how you see exponential improvement. Unfortunately we never had it under any control at any point whatsoever before the vaccines. Probably why things also look so much better now. We're going (hopefully) from one extreme to the other.

It's a great relief to see the rate of mortality falling.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. There are still risks. New and more dangerous variants can still emerge, both at home and abroad. We know from experience that new variants find a way in.

That's me embracing less awful news, while sounding a quiet note of caution. Any rush to return to pre-pandemic conditions could still turn back the progress we've made.

1.8 million tests in a single day, wow
Over 5 million secondary school kids being tested twice a week.

However my son has changed to home testing and school only want to know if he tests positive. So negatives won't get recorded. If the same happens in other schools then expect to see a big drop in daily testing.

The good news in this is that cases in secondary schools holding flat-ish. Primary school cases climbing uncomfortably.

At my daughters school they have to register all tests with the national testing service - both positive and negative.

They are really cracking through the vaccinations and I've got mine on Wednesday, despite being under 50 and healthy.

Looking at the traffic on the roads, many businesses are easing back into normal working patterns. I work in logistics and all our office based staff returned to normal office working yesterday - albeit with social distancing in place, but they've been told not to expect to return to home working unless there's another wave or any reported cases in the office.

It's great to see the cases, and in particular, the deaths coming down, but I think we should stick with the Roadmap. I know everyone's impatient to get back to life but I don't want us to blow it now! But, looking at the rest of Europe, it's probably right to be cautious.

The Guardian Live blog is reporting that the number of pupils in England with suspected or confirmed cases of Covid-19 has more than doubled in the space of a week since schools fully reopened, (12,000 to 28,000) and those having to self-isolate due to suspected cases in their class or year group has gone from 33,000 on 11th March to 127,000 on 18th March.

My nextdoor neighbour told me this morning that the school where 2 of her daughters attend has had 3 positive tests amongst the Yr13 cohort, resulting in that whole group being sent home for 10 days.

The Guardian Live blog is reporting that the number of pupils in England with suspected or confirmed cases of Covid-19 has more than doubled in the space of a week since schools fully reopened, (12,000 to 28,000) and those having to self-isolate due to suspected cases in their class or year group has gone from 33,000 on 11th March to 127,000 on 18th March.

My nextdoor neighbour told me this morning that the school where 2 of her daughters attend has had 3 positive tests amongst the Yr13 cohort, resulting in that whole group being sent home for 10 days.
Will the easter holidays be a bit of a firebreak, or make things worse? Again though, if those with covid mostly don't end up needing the NHS is it an issue any more?

Will the easter holidays be a bit of a firebreak, or make things worse? Again though, if those with covid mostly don't end up needing the NHS is it an issue any more?
The neighbour does think that it will be an issue (she works as a care assistant at the local hospital and has worked in the Covid wards) in that the children will be taking the infection back home to possibly infect those who have not been vaccinated (remember that some have refused, whilst other vulnerable people simply cannot have any vaccination due to their condition).

The bigger worry is for those students in Years 11 and 13 who need the face-to-face schooling, not to mention the other year groups who are missing that face-to-face teaching.

I should also add that our town has a high infection rate, the highest in Worcestershire (162 per 100,000 and rising). Worrying if Johnson is going to relax measures country-wide rather than go back to a tier system

Last edited:
Today's deaths and cases both marginally up on last Tuesday 112 (110) and 5,379 (5,294).

At my daughters school they have to register all tests with the national testing service - both positive and negative.

They are really cracking through the vaccinations and I've got mine on Wednesday, despite being under 50 and healthy.

Looking at the traffic on the roads, many businesses are easing back into normal working patterns. I work in logistics and all our office based staff returned to normal office working yesterday - albeit with social distancing in place, but they've been told not to expect to return to home working unless there's another wave or any reported cases in the office.
Surely they should still be obeying the Stay At Home/Work From Home order which is still in place?

The neighbour does think that it will be an issue (she works as a care assistant at the local hospital and has worked in the Covid wards) in that the children will be taking the infection back home to possibly infect those who have not been vaccinated (remember that some have refused, whilst other vulnerable people simply cannot have any vaccination due to their condition).

The bigger worry is for those students in Years 11 and 13 who need the face-to-face schooling, not to mention the other year groups who are missing that face-to-face teaching.

I should also add that our town has a high infection rate, the highest in Worcestershire. Worrying if Johnson is going to relax measures country-wide rather than go back to a tier system
I was reading about Redditch being high, but it was due to a couple of businesses and not throughout the community.

Shame numbers are up fractionally.....is that the first time for a while that deaths have increased?

I was reading about Redditch being high, but it was due to a couple of businesses and not throughout the community.
Just looked at that one report from 7th March. Could still be the case.

The numbers are still heading in the right direction which 2 weeks after schools went back is a relief. On the flip side my 10 year old and his year are self isolating as his teacher has caught it :(

Over 5 million secondary school kids being tested twice a week.

However my son has changed to home testing and school only want to know if he tests positive. So negatives won't get recorded. If the same happens in other schools then expect to see a big drop in daily testing.

The good news in this is that cases in secondary schools holding flat-ish. Primary school cases climbing uncomfortably.
My son has changed to home testing but still has to log the results twice a week on his school ipad even if negative.

I guess it's different for every school.

My daughters college has tested her once and said they don't have the staff to do more than one a month if that.

Last edited:
Hospitalisations are more important to look at than case numbers now

373 admissions today lowest day since 27th September if these continue to go down for the next couple of weeks with no increases then the school positive tests increasing are generally irrelevant.

Reported Cases still rising rapidly in the 5-9yr old age group (and also in the 10-14s):
1616521603858.png

Ooh Italy 551 deaths, they may overtake our deaths in the long run and France will overtake our cases, not the sick man of Europe

just realised I’ve posted under the legends that are Sierra and Anne, what a year following you two on Digi! 😜

I should also add that our town has a high infection rate, the highest in Worcestershire (162 per 100,000 and rising). Worrying if Johnson is going to relax measures country-wide rather than go back to a tier system
Where are most of these children going for the ~18hrs that they are not in school at the moment? :confused:

Today's deaths and cases both marginally up on last Tuesday 112 (110) and 5,379 (5,294).

I suppose deaths are now at a level where we're going to see a few random blips anyway.

Hospitalised is still down a healthy amount: 5,461 which is -1,838 compared to last Tuesday and as long as that continues to move in the right way things are looking promising

Surely they should still be obeying the Stay At Home/Work From Home order which is still in place?
We are classified as essential workers, so have been able to work from the office throughout. As we could work from home - albeit with lower productivity, we did, but we service a lot of retail businesses, as well as transporting fuel and supporting aviation, so as these services open up, we need more support staff in the offices.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom