Case Upgrade?

TheNameIsJambo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right lads, I thought that it was just my arse that was itchy this morning, but it really wasn't. I have the itch... Again! Maybe not as extreme as before, but it certainly is tickling.

The Titan cured a large part of it, and don't get me wrong. I felt safe, secure and wrapped up in a ball of joy.. I almost felt content, but, just the other day, I was looking at my sorry excuse for a PC case, the Corsair 600T... And to my disbelief, a small frown appeared. I couldn't stop it, I wished it away. Alas, fear has spread over me..

I need to buy a new PC case.

I do love the 600T though, there's plenty of space both inside and round the back bazinga! The only thing I can akin it to is a Strongman-Midget.

You get the strengths of the big full-tower cases, but they've just taken a bit of height away!

The reason I went for the 600T was because it had some next-level cable management, gamer-friendly side panels and an incredible positive-airflow. I have a 200mm intake at the front, 4x120mm intakes on the side panel and a rear 120mm exhaust, and a top 200mm exhaust.

My rig runs fairly quiet, with a little bit of a hum, and it makes my tootsies feel cold. It really does have a lot of air flying around, everywhere.

I've been looking at several cases today, and I'm in between a rock and a hard place... It's actually harder to buy a new PC case than it is to buy a new car! There is almost too much choice these days...

I've sort of narrowed it down to the below cases, and I kind of want to avoid cases that are built of plastic (A good example here is the NZXT Phantom. Even though it looks sweet, it still looks cheap and tacky - No offence to anyone who has one, it was on my shortlist until I decided that my next case would have to be almost all metal)

Below are my short list cases:

CoolerMaster HAF X.
My original favourite, loads of airflow and loads of features, reasonably priced too. Dust filters everywhere, to minimise the growth of dust bunnies and a GPU-funnel/tunnel on the side, to really give a lot of cool air to the GPU. Not that it's a priority with the Titan.

CoolerMaster Cosmos II
It is said that Darth Vader and the Stig designed this case. It looks insane and awesome. This is the sort of case that all gaming enthusiasts should aim to build their rig in. The only turn-off about this is the in-built fan controller, my 600T fan controller almost went on fire.. Will that fan controller last the test of time? I just see it as another component that can fail.

Corsair 800D
This thing looks cavernous, but I think I'd only get it if I were considering WC'ing at the same time since there doesn't seem to be a lot of air-flow.

Corsair 900D
If you haven't seen the reviews of this thing yet, I suggest you do. It is the next-level of PC cases! :eek: If this were out, I'd of bought one already, along with 4x4TB drives in RAID5, and never have to worry about HDD space, ever again!

The best thing about the 900D is that it has a tremendous capacity for air-cooling, pre-built-in, and it has an outstanding capacity for watercooling - It can hold 2x480mm radiators! :eek:

Last edited:
If it was me I would go 900d,love the simple and clean look but has all that potential.

If it was me I would go 900d,love the simple and clean look but has all that potential.

That's what I appreciate about it. A simplistic uniform look, almost like an Apple device. Very aesthetic and practical at the same time!

Some websites have it up for sale, and others have it up for pre-order. OCUK say it is out in June. It would probably make more sense to buy it then, since I'll be back in my old abode... Rather than lugging two cases back down the road, I'd only need to take my 600T.

I have one friend who desperately needs a good case, and I was thinking of (almost) giving him my 600T!

I think the 900D physically looks great! Id definitely go for that If I could.

On a side note, what fans do you use on your current build? I have one 140mm intake and one 140mm exhaust, how the heck do you put up with 7 fans!

Some of the Caselabs stuff makes the 900D look like David standing next to Goliath, but the 900D gets my vote, but is aimed at Watercooling enthusiasts though.

3 900D's fit on one pallet :eek:

LL

Tuesday the 16th is embargo lift for reviews, but I think everyone knows about Godzilla by now. :devil:

Do It!! :D

CM did an updated Fan controller for the Cosmos 2 as they sent me one well two as the first was damaged in transit, not had an issue with it as well, but like any Fan controller just do no overload it with fans that pull more amps than the controller can handle.

might be the reason yours melted :D

Why is the 600T a sorry excuse for a PC case?

He doesn't mean sorry excuse, he means he wants something more expensive like an up market prostitute.

Against a 900D it is :D

On a serious note the 600T is a good case, but the 900D makes my 650D look pants. :(

My next case will more than likely be the 900D. Or something by Caselabs. :smashin:

Smurfin said:

Nothing, you'll learn to take Jambos posts with a pinch of salt. Most are an exaggerated story of nonsense that you need to wade through to actually find what he's saying.

I blame the drink and the glue sniffing myself.

Nothing, you'll learn to take Jambos posts with a pinch of salt. Most are an exaggerated story of nonsense that you need to wade through to actually find what he's saying.

I blame the drink and the glue sniffing myself.

I like to keep you ladies on your toes.. My nonsensical ramblings make so little sense that they could make it into the New New Testament.

Alcohol and methamphetamines are the fuel that drive the members on here. Without it, we would probably, and regrettably go outside.

The 600T is a grand case. There's nothing wrong with it apart from mine having a busted fan controller, plus, I just want something else. Sorta like when you tire of the same bike, or car or mobile phone... And you want something shiny and new!

The 900D is overkill, in every single way; the same as the Cosmos II, but they're both massively appealing!

I'd buy another 600T if they made fan grilles native on the mesh.

Why not upgrade to this...

GzdBy1K.jpg

Please note: This case does not double as a sex doll :D

Why not upgrade to this...

Please note: This case does not double as a sex doll :D

I'm sure that the vagina was definitely in the original blueprint...

:devil:

It's just a shame that it's a mechanical HDD that's in there, it will break down fairly sharply after the amount of banging Leela shall receive!

Also, is that model of Leela watercooled? If so. It definitely doubles as a sex doll!

@majn00bwhoisactuallygettinglessn00blike, holy christmas, 3 on one pallet?

That's one huge case. When I worked in retail we could fit some unbelievably immense amount of stuff on a pallet, at times it looked like the equivalent of an obese bird trying to fit into her old jeans!

@nam, I only had two fans on the 600T controller! If two can melt it, I'd dread to think what would of happened if it was fully loaded! :eek:

It's one of the reasons I don't want a Cosmos 2. But if they supply you with freebie spares then that's always a bonus! I heard about the fan controller and being one of the fatal flaws, because the original connectors only worked with CM fans - due to x amount of pins?

Maybe we should just miss out the middle man and connect cables directly from a 230V supply to the fan. That way you are guaranteed maximum fan performance.

Last edited:
@majn00bwhoisactuallygettinglessn00blike, holy christmas, 3 on one pallet?

That's one huge case. When I worked in retail we could fit some unbelievably immense amount of stuff on a pallet, at times it looked like the equivalent of an obese bird trying to fit into her old jeans!

@nam, I only had two fans on the 600T controller! If two can melt it, I'd dread to think what would of happened if it was fully loaded! :eek:

It's one of the reasons I don't want a Cosmos 2.

Maybe we should just miss out the middle man and connect cables directly from a 230V supply to the fan. That way you are guaranteed maximum fan performance.

I wouldn't worry about the Cosmos 2 controller, it's a completely redesigned piece of kit. I've got 10 fans in my case and have no issues.

What's the Thermaltake 10GT like? Aside from pricey it looks interesting but I've not seen a lot about it.

I wouldn't worry about the Cosmos 2 controller, it's a completely redesigned piece of kit. I've got 10 fans in my case and have no issues.

Cheers mate. I've actually poured over cases more than I did my car! And my car coat a fair bit more than a PC case haha.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of fans do you use? I take it you'll be using something with high static pressure for your rads?

Are you powering them all from the case? If so, it must pack a fair whack! The 600T could barely power 2 fans, never mind apply a full load on each line.

namuk said:
there crap as well, next :laugh: the Doll was a keepers though

Your still not over the friction burns from the last one :laugh

I see Jambo with the Antec Skeleton case

Cheers mate. I've actually poured over cases more than I did my car! And my car coat a fair bit more than a PC case haha.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of fans do you use? I take it you'll be using something with high static pressure for your rads?

Are you powering them all from the case? If so, it must pack a fair whack! The 600T could barely power 2 fans, never mind apply a full load on each line.

It's got 1 x 200mm CM fan that came with the case and 8 x 120 + 1 x 140mm BitFenix Spectre Pro's all connected to the controller. I don't know whether my psu has made any difference but everything works fine even with the fans running at full speed all the time. They're so quiet that the noise doesn't bother me. In fact my air purifier makes more noise lol. :smashin:

I actually chose the 600T over the GT10 and the NZXT Phantom. I purely went with the 600T because it got rave reviews and the other two simply got good reviews. I held them in regard as:
1st = 600T.
2nd = Phantom.
3rd = GT10.

I really wanted a HAF X at the time, and I'm not sure why I didn't buy one - maybe it's because my mate bought one and I just wanted something different.

The NZXT kept getting slated as 'too plastic' which really threw me off and I really liked the look of the GT10, it was something different and a bit mental looking but I can't remember why I chose the NZXT over it at the time, in my rankings.

I was actually in the Classifieds here and found all 3 of the above dirt cheap. The GT10 being the best bargain, considering it's price tag... But I still bought the Corsair.

It's one of the reasons I don't want a Cosmos 2. But if they supply you with freebie spares then that's always a bonus! I heard about the fan controller and being one of the fatal flaws, because the original connectors only worked with CM fans - due to x amount of pins?

that case may of needed a updated Controller, i did do my research on that cosmos before i got it and there was a issue on power to the led fans i.e not enough, that's why the led fans were flickering on full brightness.

any fan works with that controller, but if you want to switch the Led's off you need a separate Led power lead and i have only seen BitFenix and of course Cm fans that have this lead.

if you get that case, take the top housing off and if it has a Green Pcb you need the new version, contact Cm direct with Pic's of the controller and they will sort there end, i no Crucial got this case not long back and it had the updated Pcb.

so you should be ok with the new batch but worth checking :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom