Case for an Xs which protects the screen

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For years I’ve used a wallet case. This follow dropping the phone one night years ago into my gravelled drive and seeing the screen shatter

However I fancy a change. Can anyone recommend a quality case which protects the phone, especially the screen and does not impact on the rear camera (notice that with wallet covers my pictures pick up the hue of the case especially when flash used)

Cheers

Something like this has a screen protector built in:

But cases with built in screen protectors are sometime quite bulky. Why not just buy a standard case (eg genuine apple leather case) and then use a high quality screen protector such as a Media Devil or Powersupport one?

On my my XS, i"m using a Powersupport Ultrasuede Air Jacket (in charcoal) - amazing case in terms of feel and durability and well worth the £30-£40. I have a Medial Devil Screen Protector.

Last edited:
Something like this has a screen protector built in:

But cases with built in screen protectors are sometime quite bulky. Why not just buy a standard case (eg genuine apple leather case) and then use a high quality screen protector such as a Media Devil or Powersupport one?

do they work ?
If I was to drop screen down into a jagged hard surface like a rockery etc. would they protect the screen ?

I don't think any case or screen protector is guaranteed to keep the phone damage free if its dropped but its fair to say the bulkier the case the more protection it will offer. Personally I prefer a slimmer case + screen protector and should my phone still get damaged if it falls, then at least i have my mobile phone insurance to fall back on (provided with my Nationwide FlexPlus bank account).

I don't think any case or screen protector is guaranteed to keep the phone damage free if its dropped but its fair to say the bulkier the case the more protection it will offer. Personally I prefer a slimmer case + screen protector and should my phone still get damaged if it falls, then at least i have my mobile phone insurance to fall back on (provided with my Nationwide FlexPlus bank account).

Cheers. I’ve never used a screen protector on my phone, having always used the wallet, but like the idea of lighter / thinner case.

Always wondered just how good they are and how much damage they would stop

Most screen damage is caused by an impact to a corner - where the glass is most heavily stressed. Damage to front of the screen is more likely to be scratches or severe impact damage, which a protector will not help with.

I've always used cases with corner protection - and have got the same for my kids. Their iPhone 11 pros seem to be surviving quite well. A previous phone - an iPhone 8 did suffer some screen damage - a couple of deep scratches across it, caused when a beer bottle was dropped on the phone. My old iPad Air has a cracked screen from corner damage - despite it being in a wallet type case. Being dropped onto concrete from about 8' over a wall did not do wonders for it!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom