1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Fan Configuration

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dick Scratcher, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently amassing some 'tasty gear' for a kick ass PC and I need some advice on proper ventilation. I've got me a clear acrylic case which has five 80mm holes pre-cut in the panels. Looking from the front there's one below the drive bays, a blow hole in the top panel, a hole at the back just below the PSU and two more arranged vertically on the lower left hand side of the left hand panel. Fairly common straightforward stuff.

I propose to recut the blow hole to 120mm to accomodate an aluminium fan to which the watercooler radiator will be fixed, venting straight out of the top of the case. The back panel is to have an 80mm fan venting out. The hole in the front is to vent air inwards through an aluminium mesh filter. Feel free to criticise this approach but my real problem is what to do about the two holes in the left hand side panel. Should these vent in-to or out-of the case?

CPU will be an XP2800+ and graphics card will be a GeForce FX as soon as they become available, so I'm likely to have some serious heat issues to overcome. For information, the motherboard is an Asus A7V8X Gold, memory is 512 Mb of Corsair XMS DDR3200, hard drive will be a Western Digital Caviar 80GB SE, sound card will be a Videologic Sonic Storm and I've got a Sigma X-Card DVD Decoder, 'cos frankly software players leave me decidedly underwhelmed. I'll be keeping my Plextor 8/4/32A CD Rewriter but I'll more than likely upgrade my Pioneer A04 DVD writer to an A05.

The mission is to have a no-compromise games machine that I can still use for regular PC duties, but the emphasis is definitely on games. Internet will be on a seperate machine as I want to keep 'software clutter' to a minimum. Whaddya reckon?

2. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    you should read up on the gFX. 99% of the reviews by the people that count show the gfx being upto 20% SLOWER than the ATI radeon ati r9700. its slower, more expensive and louder (something like 70db from that fan - ouch!)

anyway, those fans on the left panel should *idealy* be intakes. but, at the end of the day, nobody can tell you for certain which arrangment will perform better.
    At the end of the day, as usuall with pc gear, experimentation on your part is the only way.

BTW you say thats a no-compromise machine, but it can be improved on quiet a lot, and made cheaper aswell. (such as using twinmos ram instead of that corsair, or even the geil pc3500). but thats just my opionion lol

3. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James,

I've checked out a couple of GeForce FX reviews and they made no bones about the fact that the Nvidia card blew everything else away. The Radeon, Matrox and TI4600 cards were used for comparison but the FX card was found to be a clear winner! I suppose we'll just have to wait for proper production review samples and final drivers before any firm verdicts are made.

In regard to PC3500 ram, the Asus motherboard has DDR400 support which equates to PC3200, are you talking about overclocking here? My aim is for a fairly fast machine that stays within normal design limits with overclocking left as a last resort or at least until I need a little extra oomph! Pushing the CPU to 3GHz would be a nice start but probably unnecessary in the short term.

4. CW1000

CW1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The A7V8X is a great board for overclocking as I'm sure you already know, I've got 512mb of PC3200 from Scan, no brand in particular, with a XP2400+ overclocked running at XP2800+ speeds quite happily with the hsf. I'm sure you'll have no problems hitting 3.0 ghz with the XP2800+.

6. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They should be intakes.
    You need to keep a proper airflow through your case, normally in through the front bottom and then out the back at the top.
    If they were blowing out cold air would come in at the front and go straight out at the side before reaching the graphics card or cpu.

7. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers lads, thanks for the handy info. I've ordered three Thermaltake Smartfan II's with the Coolmod for the side and rear ports. I need a decent looking filter for the front port so I'm gonna look around a while longer to get a filter that performs and integrates into the whole scheme equally well.

CW1000, that noise is totally unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. I've seen the 'sea shell' duct between the GPU fan and the rear plate, methinks it could be removed and watercooled to keep the noise down. I'll wait until someone brings out a bit of silent kit before I commit to a GeForce FX. The Radeon looks more appealing by the minute.

8. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE

Looks like Gainward have cracked the noise problem with their own cooling solution for retail boards. No details as yet but noise levels of 7db are claimed :eek: :eek: :eek: As they say, its as quiet as a human heartbeat! Check out http://www.hexus.net

9. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    and the fact that is is rediculously overpriced doesnt concern you?
    taken from here: http://www.hexus.co.uk/pr.php?pr=452

10. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James,

Read carefully, those are SRP's mate. Only an idiot would fork out that sort of money for a mere graphics card. Im not saying it will be cheap but you'll get a much better deal if you search around and maybe bide your time a while. The new Radeon 9800/9900 cards could be eye openers when they are released in March. ATI's full on .13 micron hardware is being touted for a July unveiling, should be good enough to put Nvidia in its place eh? :smashin: