1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cascading Scarts

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by AVFan7667, Dec 7, 2004.

1. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I cascade my scarts as follows:

Cable Box 1 -> TV
    Cable Box 2 -> VCR 1
    VCR 2 -> DVDR 1
    DVDR 2 -> TV

Will my DVDR be able to record from cable if the VCR is switched off? (as the VCR get's the signal first in the cascade).

Thanks

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't know the answer to your question but I wonder why you are connecting the DVDR to AV2 on your TV which may not be RGB enabled.

Why not try the following instead :-

Cable Box 1 -> DVDR 1
    DVDR 2 -> TV

Cable Box 2 -> VCR 1
    VCR 2 -> TV

3. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to connect them up in such a way that I can record to DVDR from VCR (until I have archived all my old tapes at least).

I can use composite from the VCR to the front panel of the DVDR but it will look messy as it coul dtake a good few months before I am able to 'scrap' the VHS.

Wonder if recording from VCRto DVDR using only the RF lead will be a better option. That way, I could tune a channel on the DVDR to the VCR and avoid using SCART on the VCR at all.

The 1st SCART on my TV is not labelled at all (other than '1') and the second is labelled as 'Audio/Video 2S S-Video'. I have no idea what that means - why is it calling 1 of the SCARTs an S-Video?

This would leave me with the following (switching DVDR to TV 1):

Cable Box 1 -> TV 2
    Cable Box 2 -> DVDR 1
    DVDR 2 -> TV 1

VCR RF-Out to DVDR RF-In (or even composite them into the front sockets on the DVDR but I want to avoid this if possible)

I don't have an external aerial (only the cable box feed) so there' sno problem using the RF-in on the DVDR as it won't otherwise be used.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you want the best picture quality from cable and DVD you will want to use the RGB scart socket on the TV which is usually the first socket. Additionally you will have to "tell" the cable box and DVD player to output RGB instead of composite (which is much inferior)

The AV2 scart socket probably doesn't accept RBG signals but will accept s-video which your cable box doesn't output.

If the transferring of video tape to DVD is not happening every day I would suggest that you connect things up the way that I suggested and then connect the VCR to the DVD Recorder via the front panels at such times as you are transferring stuff over as the VCR will only be composite anyway.