Casablanca??

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by celticprince, Mar 4, 2003.

1. celticprince

celticprince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All. I need help! After looking at the three DVD comparison sites, I am still unsure how many versions there are of this film. I am not interested in the boxed collectors edition, but when looking for prices I was offered "Casablanca" R2 at £7.99 or "Casablanca SE" R1 at £10.99" both on Warner. Rewind simply states that the "standard" discs are the same, but after trawling through R1 & R2 suppliers, some say there is an accompanying booklet with theirs, others not. The discs look identical, and I have yet to see one with "SE" on it, but some sites use barcodes to identify, others not. So my question....apart from the Collectors Box Set, how many versions of Casablanca are there, and are they the same across regions? Thanks in advance, Chris.

Just to confuse things further, I've just seen an MGM "Special Edition" which is apparently the disc contained in the box set. Any thoughts?

Sorry all. I posted this question after searching all day for info, and suddenly I find it all at once. MGM originally remastered the film which included a booklet in it's extras. Warner subsequently bought the rights from MGM and released their own SE with the same transfer, but without the booklet. The box set is again the same transfer, but with obviously more extras. Anyone know if Criterion are doing a version, because their LD was excellent. Cheers again, Chris.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have what I think is the first DVD release of Casablanca (R1) and it comes with a 8 page booklet.
    The picture is superb, especially given the age of that movie (those responsible for the 'Highlander' disaster take note!) while the original soundtrack in mono has been maintained - though I think it'sDolby Digital 2.0, i.e. recorded into the left and right channel (but can't be 100% sure).

3. celticprince

celticprince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Reiner, thanks for the comment. The transfer is the same one available today from Warner, and has had mixed opinions, mainly very good. The Criterion LD release a few years ago is supposed to be excellent with a host of extras. This film is surely worthy of a DVD version? Glad you got the MGM original. Cheers, Chris.