Cars 2 (2D) Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Alan Paterson, 25th November 2011.
With a squeal of tyres, the Disney Pixar sequel ‘Cars 2’ arrives on UK Region free 2D Blu-ray with an excellent 1080p AVC/MPEG-4 encode, framed in the widescreen 2.40:1 aspect ratio. As you’d expect, the image is blemish free with strong, saturated colours and contrast to match. Detail is outstanding. It’s demo material, folks.

The audio is no slouch either in its DTS-HD MA 7.1 surround, delivering engine roar and delicate, discrete effects equally well while the all important dialogue is clear as a car horn.

A couple of animated shorts and a director’s commentary are the only bonus features on the disc, but they’re welcome additions that don’t outstay their welcome.

As a movie, ‘Cars 2’ takes us into the world of espionage as Mater meets up with agent Finn McMissile (Sir Michael Caine) while taking part in the World Grand Prix with his buddy Lightning McQueen. All the great voices from the original ‘Cars’ are there except, understandably, for Paul Newman in this imaginatively animated CGI tale of double dealing. Forget what the critics say, take it out for a spin tonight. It’s good quality fun.

Read the full review...

zebredy

Great review as always. Got to say I'm more a fan of the first movie (Mater kinda got on my nerves a bit in this movie) but I still enjoyed watching it. Especially liked the cars in Japan and a few scenes in Italy, can't wait to get this for my b'day now :)..

sy278

The screen captures are too small and compressed to heavily to be of any use in judging the image quality.

Alan Paterson

...and it was always thus. :)
Never rely on screen caps as a true indication.
They just give some idea - and much better than copying pics you find on the web.
The screen grabs are captured at 1920x1080, then reduced due to the space they take up.
Kind regards
Alan

Marky1973

Great review and great film. Picked it up Tuesday and enjoyed it almost as much as the kids. Picture and sound are great. I dont understand why so many people seem to go out of their way to rubbish the Cars films? They aren't Pixar's best, but even their worst is fantastic......enjoy!

zebredy

I dont understand why so many people seem to go out of their way to rubbish the Cars films? They aren't Pixar's best, but even their worst is fantastic......enjoy!

Maybe some people think if its not as good as 'The Incredibles' or the 'Toy Story' movies there gona let everyone know about it, who knows. I can't understand it either but to each there own. Having a hubby who is into F1 and having a love of old music really helped with the first movie, I knew I was going to like the second one even before I saw it at the cinema (think its the only thing I've seen at the cinema all year lol)

My mum got us the first Cars movie as a Christmas present a few years ago (think it was the December after we got married) we watched it twice that week and again a few weeks / a month later..

Didn't know about the guy who played the Hudson Hornet Paul Newman, great way to honor him in the second movie. Anyway picked this up from Amazon yesterday for £7 so I know what I'll be watching next weekend on Saturdays movie night :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom