Carrier not available

hornet#30

After updating and JB/unlock to os4 i was unable to use 3G on my phone as the carrier was unavailable, seems to be a common problem. After numerous attempts to rectify with orange and by downgrading re-updating etc i finally found an answer this morning and wished i'd found it 2 days ago.

Disclaimer
The solution provided below is on your own risk, not from apple support. make sure you follow steps, and don't add/change other info unless you know what you are doing.

Background:
For some reason, probably "bug" iOS4 removes the APN settings, as so many of you already figured out. With the help of iPhone Configuration Utility, you can see in your Console log(phone has to be attached:
Tue Jun 22 12:18:23 unknown CommCenter32 <Notice>: SIM never inserted so no settings
Tue Jun 22 12:18:23 unknown CommCenter32 <Notice>: Invalid PDP Context -1 specified

Which means that SIM card don't have the necessary info, and your Carrier is not sending out the info needed for the phone. Some Carriers has this info stored on SIM-card but its not very flexible.

Temporary Solution but not recommended, do it on ur own risk:
1. Download iPhone Configuration Utility : iPhone Configuration Utility 2.2 for Windows

2. Google your Carriers APN settings or ask a non-iPhone user, normally
SonyEricsson phones has this stated in its conf-settings

3. Go to Library/Configuration Profiles, Click on "new", go down to advanced, add the APN settings, for example on orange its orangeinternet and leave everything else blank
4. Connect your iphone, should pop up on the left as in iTunes, go to "configuration profiles tab", chose install, a notification should appear on your phone, choose "install". After install it should work directly.

Troubleshooting:
1. Look in Devices/<phone>/Console for error messages.
2. In your Settings/General, you should now have a profile-tab, so you can choose to remove it if you experience any other problem and redo.

Good Luck!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom