Carrera PC's Going cheap - be quick if you want one!

I hate to ask the usual boring questions, but is it any good? Is it upgradeable? What are its limitations. I would want to run things like proE and Soildworks on it (solid modelling packages)- I guess I'd need to upgrade/add a graphics card? - and a bigger HD wouldn't go a miss either? Any tips or pointers would be appreciated. I've used PCs for about 5 years and I'm still on my old 233 p2 with 68mb ram and a creaking 5.2 gig HD...(it was the d's d's when I bought it - well for a day and a half!) Cheers:confused:

Generally most desktop PC's are upgradeable as they are all made up of seperate components that are easy to get hold of from sites such as Ebuyer
As for what it is and for the price its not too bad. It would probably be best used as an 'internet pc'. If your wanting to run any sort of professional modelling program like Lightwave (and fast) then i would look for something else.

The hard drive will probably only be 5600rpm and the graphics card more than likely a cut down geforce2/3 (i.e. MX). Extra RAM wouldnt go amiss either (DDR)
I'm not sayin it wont run your software it'll just take a little extra time.

But as for a second room pc or something for the kids its a steal at this price.

Shaun

As a pc for the kids, using the net, word processing homeworks or that kind of thing, it is a bargain i think!

Ad

I was just thinking of the material value. A 17" monitor, keyboard, drives etc etc would cost far more. For a Duron it looks ok. In fact, as a general purpose pc it looks very good value for money.

I haven't bought one, but I just thought someone may be interested at that price.

i'm not critiscising it or anything i mean it is v. good value for money but for what @work was wanting to do (modelling) then i feel that he would be better off with one that has slightly more power.

Shaun

Cheers for the info Shaun - have you any suggestions for a suitable HW spec? Somebody mentioned that there is good value to be had in high powered second hand office machines - anybody got any links? :confused: :cool:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom