Carphone Warehouse

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Haizum74, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haizum74

Haizum74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I recently went to my local CPW to purchase a new phone on PAYG. Yes, they had it in stock, yes it was fine that I already had a sim card. All good so far. The chap then informed me that my mobile number was showing on his screen as blocked and as such was unable to scan the phone through to pay for it. To get round it (he said) he would have to first scan in an 8gb mem card for £22 (which the phone could take) and then the phone and it would 'get around' the blocked issue. Needless to say I realised he was pulling a fast one. "I can get them cheaper off the net" (sim cards) said I. Oh no, they are all cheap tat and can invalidate your warranty if you buy off the internet", said he from his backside. "Hmm, I will give it a miss" I replied disgruntled that an overweight spotty urchin had tried scamming me :mad:

A quick call to 02 confirmed my suspicions "There is and never has been any block on your phone Sir" said O2 phone person. Another quick look on the internet at Amazon confirmed that 8gb off the internet are not cheap tat either.
    Anyone else tried been scammed like this? Oh and I am not bringing down CWH, as it was one member of staff. I have used the same shop before and the other chap was great (but not there that day).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. Haizum74

Haizum74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hmm, Just me then:confused:

3. montybaber

montybaber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    may be worth speaking to cpw about this, it could be a missunderstanding but im sure they would like to know

4. mhorton

mhorton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Was just going to say the same thing. I would go back into that store and speak to the manager about it.

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    the part about the mem card needing to be scanned first to unblock the phone going through was obviously complete rubbish and you should have just asked for the manager there and then.

the part about buying one off the net will invalidate your warranty could actually be true. Most manufacturers of phones also make memory cards or have a manufacturer brandname some for them. If you look in your manual it will often say something along the lines of 'please only use Samsung approved peripherals for your phone otherwise it may damage your phone and invalidate your warranty' (only used samsung as a name out of the air). Obviously if you bought a Samsung phone and went online to buy a Samsung memory card then you would be fine...lol

6. zamall.miah

zamall.miah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The salesperson is either a complete moron or tried to pull a fast one. Complain to CPW, goodness knows how many people are scammed by these idiots.

7. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    Please read forum rules, a salespersons inability to do their job well doesnt warrant a "scammer" tag.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.