1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carpet/Wallpaper/Curtains advice plse

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by kissakiwi, Apr 28, 2003.

1. kissakiwi

kissakiwi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,
    I have just bought a house in the Leeds area. I have a room which is 13'3" X 10'10". I plan to use this as my home cinema room - but it also has to be a multi-fuctional room. ie a second sitting room.

One end of the room is basically a massive big window! I plan to place my electric roll-down screen over the window, so I need some very good curtaining which will block out 100% light from the window. I will probably go for a Piano He-3200 pj.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to curtaining material and where I can get this? (Have only just moved to UK, so dont know many retailers I am afraid)

On another note, I also need to sort out carpets and wallpaper. I dont want to make the whole room black (although that would be idea of course for HC) any ideas here?

Thanks and regards
    Collin

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    John Lewis are always good for curtains and black out blinds/curtains.

Not sure of any in the Leeds area, but I'm sure someone will be able to point you to one.

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    I used Kodak 18% grey for my upper walls and ceiling - it doesn't make the place look like a dungeon, and it's excellent for not washing out the screen if any light reflects back off the walls due to it's neutral light.

For accoustics, a rule of thumb is to have the lower halves of the wall (below ear height) dead - so I used carpet. I didn't put any on the back wall,as the seating does the same job.

The top halves should be reflective, so I wallpapered those, and the ceiling.

The screen wall is black carpet, thoughyour case it's difficult to carpet a window, so do as retro suggests. :)

Pics on my website if you're interested.

Gary.

4. kissakiwi

kissakiwi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Retro and Gary.... help much appreciated.
    Not sure the wife will go for grey walls though! :)
    Cheers
    Collin

5. shoalin kid

shoalin kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i need to decorate a new room also ,is it practical to use carpet on the walls.i wanted to keep the room free from clutter so would move shelving into spare room leaving only 2 leather chairs ,the fronts will fire towards heavy curtians but wat of the fest of room .ive read of people using acoustic fabricon the walls how much do these cost.any advice would be big help

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Accoustic batting and Gothic of Main (IIRC) material is reccommended and used over at www.avsforum.com, so try looking there for more info.

I found the carpet to be effective and cheap, and so that it can be removed at a later date if required, I used thick wallpaper paste to apply it. Using steam should remove it from the walls without too much effort hopefully.

Gary.