Carpet on walls?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by rigman, Nov 17, 2002.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Hi

noticed some of you deaden the sound in your rooms by using carpet on the lower half of the walls.

Could you tell me what type?

Hessian alone,
    Hessian with underlay,
    Rubber backed

What is the best thing to use to fix it to the walls.?

thanks
    Darren

2. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to do the same. My bother in law is a carpet fitter and as such occasionally has to fit out outdoor broadcast trailers that people like Sky use. For similar reasons to us they carpet the walls with a specific type of carpet, the name of which escapes me at the moment. It's something like Holepoint and is designed for fixing to walls with glue. Apparently it's easy to keep clean and it doesn't lose fibres or something like that.

He did say that if I didn't use Holepoint, then use a hessian backed twist carpet and glue it. Don't use foam backed as it will seperate.

As and when it gets done I'll post the methodology.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I guess the biggest differences that different carpets will make will based on their pile thickness. (Does that make sense?)

A nice think carpet will probably absorb large amounts of unwanted bass, whereas cheaper carpet tiles will probably just take out a lot of mid-bass and top end stuff.

Sorry can't help you more.

4. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    The room at present has a laminate floor and painted plasterboard and the sound especially voices can sometime sound muffled. I have a Lexicon DC1 / Parasound 1205A and M&K 150 series speakers which sounded wonderful in my last house were my HC doubled as my living room 25ftx12ft and hence had lots of soft furnishings etc.

The room I have now is a bit smaller 18x9 and is a dedicated room so I can do anything I like to it without worrying too much about asthetics. It is sparsly furnished and I think the problems are due to the sound reflections. As long as changes I make improves the sound / vision then I dont care what I have to do :)

I plan to lay carpet and also do the walls. I also plan to darken the wall behind the screen and hopefully the carpet on the wall will also give me less light reflection back to the screen.

Anyone else have experience of this that they could share?

thanks
    Darren

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
  6. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I seem to remember the BBC using cork tiles (about 1ft square) on the walls in their sound studios. As well as doing the job they look nicer than carpet on the walls!

7. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [Unhelpful and mildly insulting message deleted by admin]

8. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92

Thanks for that bernard I will look at what is available in that area as well. If it is good enough for the BBC then its good enough for me.

Darren

9. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [Unhelpful and mildly insulting message deleted by admin]

It wasn't mildly insulting, it was sarcastic.

By being sarcastic it was subtly pointing out to the author that not only did I not agree with his/her point of view, I thought it was very out-dated, if not wholly accurate. By virtue of the fact that it was sarcastic there is also a tiny element of victimisation. Because the nature of discussion forums is text based, elements of communication present during personal interaction are not there. The best we can do is qualify with smileys, hence the pokey tongue smiley at the end of the message.

Raising these points (albeit in a veiled way) I don't consider unhelpful.

We're all adult enough on these forums to stand a little bit of this surely?

In short Spectre, I think you have seen the text but not the message and were wrong to delete it.

10. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Thanks for all of your comments Mike. It really helped with my original question :rolleyes:

Well I have laid the carpet on the floor and have yet to put it on the walls. Already there has been a very big improvement and the sound it is back to its former glory. I will do some experiments with some old cut off carpet which are in the loft and put them on the walls with panel pins and if there is no further improvement then I shall just remove it again. If it improves further I shall fix some dark coloured carpet permanantly.

thanks for all the constructive input guys

Darren

11. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recall reading elsewhere about deadening the lower half of a room and keeping the top half 'live' which appears to be what your're about to do. I will be keen to hear about the results. It might save me from having to repeat all your good work.

12. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,840
    after much reading over at the US forum, I completely carpeted the screen wall with black carpet, as you need to keep this wall 'dead', and as Mike correctly states, you idealy want the walls dead below ear height, so I glued carpet to the lower walls, and papered and painted the upper walls and ceiling. The rear wall also needs to be reflective, so I papered and painted that too.

Obviously carpet on the floor too. :)

It seems to work very well. BTW - I used thick wallpaper paste to stick the foam backed carpet to the walls, so that should it need to be removed, it can be steamed off relatively easily.

HTH

Pics on my web site if you're bored and want to have a look...

Gary.