• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Carpet Gripperrod Glue Removal - help

sagaris99

Hi all

Currently in the process of decorating a room, part of of which I'm removing a carpet to.make way for Karndean.

To help the fitter, I'm removing the old carpet - but struggling with the grip rods. They've been stuck to the floor about 23 years, and so the glue/epoxy resin used to stick the rods to the floor is solid. As a result, using a crowbar/hammer and chisel I'm getting the rods up, but the wood is splintering, leaving bits still stuck to the floor

Other than lots of effort and swearing, any ideas as to how to remove it? Any chemical that might dissolve it? Cheers
16046700277178210802789557396345.jpg

IronGiant

Worst case scenario, you might need to chisel it off and slap on some self levelling compound to cover up the remaining glue.

John7

Hammer and bolster chisel. If you've got an SDS drill, there are dedicated chisels for the task....

Amazon product
You could try heating the adhesive to see if it softens but my experience with this stuff is that it sets rock-hard

John7

Possibly but they're not designed/built to be hammered and very "springy". Could work, but a chisel will be more suited. I've found this stuff to be quite brittle, so it should come off cleanly but it tends to fly off in chunks when hit so eye protection is recommended.

sagaris99

Possibly but they're not designed/built to be hammered and very "springy". Could work, but a chisel will be more suited. I've found this stuff to be quite brittle, so it should come off cleanly but it tends to fly off in chunks when hit so eye protection is recommended.
Chunks is a a very apt description 😂

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom