Carpet cleaners

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Any of you guys use these? I've just borrowed a Vax one off a mate, and while it seems like its done a good job so far (only just finished so gotta wait until the morning), it didn't half use a lot of cleaning solution. It's one of the ones with the separate solution container so you add it undiluted. On the pack it says 40ml per liter for the ones that you add it direct to the water tank, but this one seems to have used about 300ml for one room, and that stuff isn't cheap! :)

Last edited:

k17chy

Distinguished Member
We have a bissel. Just done all of the mother in laws carpets. It does a excellent job.

p1tse

We've hired out the big units from bnq, can't remember brand at the mo

Agree it does use a lot of cleaning solutions

Personally I think it works quite well for the small outlay, but I think it ruins the carpet somewhat. I'm no carpet technical, but I personally feel it takes away the original element and stains easier afterwards now

Kevstir

We use out local carpet guy, been in the game for decades, he told us never to wash a carpet as it ruins it, he recommends just regular hoovering, and shoes of at the door lol

FZR400RRSP

Banned
We use out local carpet guy, been in the game for decades, he told us never to wash a carpet as it ruins it, he recommends just regular hoovering, and shoes of at the door lol

I wouldn't say washing a carpet ruins it, we've cleaned our beige hallway carpet for years.
But it does seem to be that you 'open Pandora's box' the first time you clean a carpet.
You'll be cleaning it a lot more often after that first clean.:(
I'm guessing any anti-dirt treatments applied by the carpet manufacturer are stripped with the first clean, then they become dirtier quicker after that.

Epicurus

At the end of last year I took the plunge and hired one of those rug doctors you see in various shops. It was an easy process of paying online which then gives you a pin code you take to the store and use to open the locker. You then have to return it by a set time. I hired for 24 hours and lent it to my brother to do his house after so we shared the cost.

I did a fair bit of research before and of course these machines are slated by professionals, but for the £40 it cost me in hire and chemicals and around 3 hours of hot sweaty work I considered it a good investment. My carpets were 6 years old last year and despite being vacuumed religiously at least once a week, the chemical was coming out sludgy black with dirt. So regardless of if I've damaged my carpets, I'm just glad I'm not walking and living in that dirt anymore and they look as good as new in most areas.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Thanks chaps. I was more questioning about the use of the solution, as the bottle says 40ml per litre for the machines that you dilute the solution (the cheaper Vax machines) but this one was more expensive, and has a separate container for the cleaning solution. With about 3 litres of water, I used (well it mixes it automagically) about 300ml (at least) of solution.

My carpet is now 4 years old and is very good with resisting stains, but after my little was sick on it last week, no amount of scrubbing can get rid of the smell, so I have resorted to a carpet cleaner. I was shocked at the colour of the water after it was cleaned, it literally came out black, and we don't wear shoes in our house.
I figure the carpet won't be as stain resistant anymore but I couldn't live with the smell! :)

Epicurus

Yeah sorry should have said more clearly, but I think for the cost to benefit it was well worth it for me and I don't regret it at all.

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
When the carpet is to be professionally cleaned different chemicals and amounts of chemicals are used dependant on the type of carpet fibres. Test are done to determine this before cleaning begins, obviously if your doing it yourself using a hired or bought machine there is a risk you may damage your own carpet..

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Used to have a Vax and tried the carpet cleaning thing. To be honest it wasn't very good.

Now every now and again I get a local bloke in called 'Carpet Medic', he has a van with some serious kit in it (I think it's something like a dry cleaning process?). Not cheap but waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than you can do yourself.

:)

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
The carpet looked ok, just had a vomit smell from my little girl being sick last week. The smell seems to have gone and the carpets seem to be looking brighter. No idea if I have damaged them though. :)

StevieBuck

On the pack it says 40ml per liter for the ones that you add it direct to the water tank, but this one seems to have used about 300ml for one room, and that stuff isn't cheap! :)

Assuming there isn't a dilution control dial or anything like that on the cleaner, you could pre-dilute the solution before adding it to the tank.

You don't necessarily have to stick with the Vax cleaning solution either. 1001 do a cleaning solution (for 3-in-1 type machines at least), which is somewhat cheaper than the Vax stuff. I've used it in my uncle's 3-in-1 Vax cleaner to do the inside of my car and it seems to clean just as well. I'd check with your mate if he was happy for you to try a different solution in his machine though ;)

jenam93

I read/heard somewhere when cleaning your own carpets make sure you do an extra run over the carpet with no cleaning solution being used, just water.

Apparently not getting enough cleaning solution out of the carpet is part of the reason why it seems to get dirtier a lot quicker after you have cleaned.

Truck mounted carpet cleaners are the way to go. They just roll the hose out the truck, all the powerful equipment is left in the truck. Carpets are almost dry when these people leave! The more carpets you get cleaned in one go, the cheaper it becomes (economies of scale and all that!)

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Assuming there isn't a dilution control dial or anything like that on the cleaner, you could pre-dilute the solution before adding it to the tank.

You don't necessarily have to stick with the Vax cleaning solution either. 1001 do a cleaning solution (for 3-in-1 type machines at least), which is somewhat cheaper than the Vax stuff. I've used it in my uncle's 3-in-1 Vax cleaner to do the inside of my car and it seems to clean just as well. I'd check with your mate if he was happy for you to try a different solution in his machine though ;)

Yeah I was thinking that. I will check for a dilution ratio control. I will also check if you can use the cleaning soluition in the main water tank. Can't see why not, but as it isn't mine, I will check before just doing it. :)

I have already bought the vax stuff, so will just use that, but should I be faced with the same problem again, and have to borrow the cleaner, I will look into the cheaper cleaning solutions.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I read/heard somewhere when cleaning your own carpets make sure you do an extra run over the carpet with no cleaning solution being used, just water.

Apparently not getting enough cleaning solution out of the carpet is part of the reason why it seems to get dirtier a lot quicker after you have cleaned.

Truck mounted carpet cleaners are the way to go. They just roll the hose out the truck, all the powerful equipment is left in the truck. Carpets are almost dry when these people leave! The more carpets you get cleaned in one go, the cheaper it becomes (economies of scale and all that!)

Yeah this one has a rinse function too, so once you have used the cleaning function, you flick it over to rinse and it just uses the water tank. Although in reference to my last post, I wouldn't be able to rinse if I added pre-diluted the cleaning solution in the water tank.

If I was moving out/moving in then I would probably pay some company like you mention to do the job, but as this was just to remove a vomit smell, borrowing a cleaner was much easier/cheaper. :)

shoestring25

Distinguished Member
my carpet cleaner is a must my nephew dropped his dinner this other day ketchup every where on a beige carpet :eek: came out a treat with the carpet cleaner you wouldnt even know it happened .

FZR400RRSP

Banned
For general spillages, a carpet cleaner is a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.
Some spray carpet cleaner (vanish or 1001) and a sponge works a treat.
Done us ok for 10 years, with the carpet cleaner only coming out once or twice a year at most to give it a general clean, never because of a spillage.

Can recommend them but worth it for older carpets that have had several years of dirt, if you change carpets often wouldn't need to use them. The passage and living room carpet water was black, and green colour came back.

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
I used the morrisons one excellent job, yes it does use a lot of fluid and yes it does strip any stain resistant that may have been on the carpet so I just reapply it after washing.

IronGiant

It helps that Croc was one of the members that spotted the spam and reported it, so he saw it before it was deleted :)

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
It helps that Croc was one of the members that spotted the spam and reported it, so he saw it before it was deleted :)
The ol' Spidey senses still twitch occasionally. ;)

Any sign of a plugin/addon to prevent multiple reports of the same post? Always was a PITA when the time taken to reply to all the reports was greater than dealing with the offending post!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips debuts fifth generation P5 Picture Processing Suite
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett