Caroline Flack found dead

Just so happens that I have asked for the other thread we have going for depression etc (where suicide has also been discussed), to be made a sticky on here. I hope the mods may oblige.

Great outcome for the Police/DPP who had time to prosecute despite the "victim" not pressing charges - and banning her from all contact with her boyfriend - absolutely disgraceful IMO...... :mad:

Would you have said the same if the other way round? A male who attacked their girlfriend/wife and then he took his own life?

Dont get me wrong, I'm saddened by her loss and I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

Would you have said the same if the other way round? A male who attacked their girlfriend/wife and then he took his own life?

Dont get me wrong, I'm saddened by her loss and I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

Of course!

Great outcome for the Police/DPP who had time to prosecute despite the "victim" not pressing charges - and banning her from all contact with her boyfriend - absolutely disgraceful IMO...... :mad:

They are duty bound to take domestic violence seriously. If there is evidence of serious abuse, they will take action even if the victim won’t or can’t support it. If you knew much about domestic violence you would understand why. They can’t just let people off because they are popular female celebrities, and I bet people wouldn’t be saying the same thing if it was a non-famous man. To blame the police and or CPS for this tragedy is absolutely ridiculous, as is suggesting they ignore cases of domestic violence.

They are duty bound to take domestic violence seriously. If there is evidence of serious abuse, they will take action even if the victim won’t or can’t support it. If you knew much about domestic violence you would understand why. They can’t just let people off because they are popular female celebrities, and I bet people wouldn’t be saying the same thing if it was a non-famous man. To blame the police and or CPS for this tragedy is absolutely ridiculous, as is suggesting they ignore cases of domestic violence.

Making some very big assumptions about myself and my family history mate :nono:

I still fully believe that the legal system is at the very least partly to blame for this tragedy and have no doubt whatsoever that she was in fact being discriminated against precisely because of her "celebrity status"

I of course am not denying the harmful input from the tabloid press but am in no doubt whatsoever that this would all have blown over quite quickly if charges had not been pressed and a simple warning for a first offence given as would normally have been expected with the aggrieved party not wishing to proceed

While it is sad she took her own life there's always two sides to a story.

Lots of these so called celebs crave the attention and everything that goes with it. They then mess up and unlike non celebs their so called friends in the press turn on them.

Who's to blame?

Such an awful shame. I know she had talked about her mental health struggles in the past. Nobody should feel that suicide is a valid option, there should always be a support system in place, but I think the medias portrayal of what happend and her stepping down from love island were the last straws.

I do hope that this can be a catalyst for a conversation about mental health and supporting each other rather than tearing each other down. So close to Time To Talk Day, too :( RIP Caroline

Its a terrible thing that anyone should take their own life, before they have lived one.

I didn't know this particular person (as a celebrity), but it seems that some people who are famous, are unable to deal with disproportionate level of pressures they receive because of their notoriety. Perhaps she did not have the support such peoples should have in their profession, or perhaps she didn't know what to expect. But very sad nether the case.

There has been a greater compassion and moral convictions by authorities in supporting those affected by domestic violence. I doubt we will know now, the logic or justification of her case now. But it would be wrong to criticize such action, because she has taken her own life. It might change resolve in other similar future domestic violence proceedings.

Her mental health, must of been at a low to do such a thing. Hope there was not a chance missed there.

Condolences to her family.

Last edited:
Not talking necessarily about Caroline Flack but you have to wonder about all of these people linked with the TV Show ‘Love Island’ who have committed Suicide. It’s a world fuelled by social media and a lot of these people just can’t handle what comes with the attention they get after appearing in the show. We can’t underestimate the effect that social media has on all of us.
3 young persons I believe.

Long post;

In this day and age, 'reality' TV doesn't want 'normal' people anymore. If you recall the very first season of Big Brother, which was the first of this type of TV show, (on modern TV I believe) it was won by a builder. Everyone in the house was from fairly standard backgrounds and discussed fairly 'normal' things.
After a couple of season of this, the producers clearly decided to up the ante and started putting in people that clearly had issues or vastly differing views to the main, in order to create fireworks among the housemates.
Fast forward to today - every single one of these types of shows is full to the brim with loudmouthed extroverts who all think they are special. Imo, most volunteers for Love Island and it's ilk either have mental health issues or personality disorders to begin with. Any problems they had when they go in are never going to be improved by the pressures of having millions of people watching and voting for/ against you.

Jeremy Kyle is off our screens (another modern-day 'Freak Show' for the viewing public to mock those less fortunate imo). The sooner the rest of these horrible TV shows follow him off-air, the better.

With regards to Caroline Flack; This is going to sound controversial, but as a son of a father that killed himself, I feel fairly well qualified to comment - the public can blame who they want, whether it's the justice system that did nothing wrong; she committed a crime - you can't just pull the mental health get-out-of-jail-free card, or her employer. Again, see above; she was charged with committing a crime which was certainly not in keeping with her role as a presenter. I do agree with the views expressed with regards Ant McPartlin too, he was treated differently, but the ITV is a business and they make business decisions, it's as simple as that.

My father had severe depression (and we suspect bi-polar, though never diagnosed afaik). It was his poor mental health that made him take the decision to end his own life. He did have worries at the time of his death, but if in a good state of mind, or when 'manic', he would have laughed these issues off. Unfortunately, his depression was also pretty bad at times.
I feel that this would probably have been a similar case for Caroline. But I feel what's more crucial to acknowledge is that I, nor anyone else that didn't know her personally, will ever know why she took her own life. If her own family and friends are at a loss, then what the hell does 'Joe Public' know about her?

Another side effect of reality TV is that the public believes they 'know' anyone on TV - we don't. We see a persona that presenters want to show us.
Another side effect of modern society, i.e. social media/ reality TV is that it's very rare that you hear a person taking blame for their own actions - it's always someone else's fault. If Caroline had mental health issues that caused her to take her own life, then I'm sorry for her loss, but it's simply not fair to blame anyone else but Caroline for this tragedy.

I can blame all sorts of people or situations for my Dad's death, but as I approach the 10th anniversary of his death, I'm happy to accept that it was his doing alone, he deliberately stopped taking his medication, withdrew from medical support and took a fatal overdose. No one made him do it.

The Daily Mail posted this advert on todays online edition :nono:

Brighten up your wardrobe like Caroline in a playsuit by HASAN HEJAZI

HASAN HEJAZI porange and magenta playsuit with train
Click here to buy
Visit site

If you’ve been wondering how to inject some colour into your wardrobe, we recommend looking to Caroline Flack for inspiration.
Attending the NTAs earlier this year, the presenter stood out amongst the star-studded crowd in an orange playsuit by HASAN HEJAZI, teamed with the ‘Morrell’ sandals by Dune London.
Her eye-catching one-piece is crafted from vibrant orange crepe with a belted waist, skirt overlay and contrast satin magenta lining.
Fortunately, this beautifully tailored playsuit is available to buy in time for party season, so click (right) to get shopping.
High street price tags more to your liking? No problem – head straight to the carousel below to recreate the look for less. Add metallic accessorie

Tragic news, I find it ironic how all the media outlets are running a story about how tragic it is when only last week they was running stories about the abuse she gave to her partner.

I've had to deal with depression within the family and it's very hard to assure that person that they are loved and important, sometimes no matter what you say or do you feel like it's a losing battle. I can't imagine what it would be like living your life in the spotlight and being treated like an outcast because of your actions.

I think being famous adds to the insecurities that we all have and 'Joe public' is ready to see someone famous fail, jealousy is a horrible trait which most of us have unfortunately.

Miranda Hart put a post on Twitter yesterday which sums up what being famous can be like.

Attachments

• IMG_20200216_091412.jpg
    IMG_20200216_091412.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20200216_091415.jpg
    IMG_20200216_091415.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20200216_091420.jpg
    IMG_20200216_091420.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 147
Long post;

In this day and age, 'reality' TV doesn't want 'normal' people anymore. If you recall the very first season of Big Brother, which was the first of this type of TV show, (on modern TV I believe) it was won by a builder. Everyone in the house was from fairly standard backgrounds and discussed fairly 'normal' things.
After a couple of season of this, the producers clearly decided to up the ante and started putting in people that clearly had issues or vastly differing views to the main, in order to create fireworks among the housemates.
Fast forward to today - every single one of these types of shows is full to the brim with loudmouthed extroverts who all think they are special. Imo, most volunteers for Love Island and it's ilk either have mental health issues or personality disorders to begin with. Any problems they had when they go in are never going to be improved by the pressures of having millions of people watching and voting for/ against you.

Jeremy Kyle is off our screens (another modern-day 'Freak Show' for the viewing public to mock those less fortunate imo). The sooner the rest of these horrible TV shows follow him off-air, the better.

With regards to Caroline Flack; This is going to sound controversial, but as a son of a father that killed himself, I feel fairly well qualified to comment - the public can blame who they want, whether it's the justice system that did nothing wrong; she committed a crime - you can't just pull the mental health get-out-of-jail-free card, or her employer. Again, see above; she was charged with committing a crime which was certainly not in keeping with her role as a presenter. I do agree with the views expressed with regards Ant McPartlin too, he was treated differently, but the ITV is a business and they make business decisions, it's as simple as that.

My father had severe depression (and we suspect bi-polar, though never diagnosed afaik). It was his poor mental health that made him take the decision to end his own life. He did have worries at the time of his death, but if in a good state of mind, or when 'manic', he would have laughed these issues off. Unfortunately, his depression was also pretty bad at times.
I feel that this would probably have been a similar case for Caroline. But I feel what's more crucial to acknowledge is that I, nor anyone else that didn't know her personally, will ever know why she took her own life. If her own family and friends are at a loss, then what the hell does 'Joe Public' know about her?

Another side effect of reality TV is that the public believes they 'know' anyone on TV - we don't. We see a persona that presenters want to show us.
Another side effect of modern society, i.e. social media/ reality TV is that it's very rare that you hear a person taking blame for their own actions - it's always someone else's fault. If Caroline had mental health issues that caused her to take her own life, then I'm sorry for her loss, but it's simply not fair to blame anyone else but Caroline for this tragedy.

I can blame all sorts of people or situations for my Dad's death, but as I approach the 10th anniversary of his death, I'm happy to accept that it was his doing alone, he deliberately stopped taking his medication, withdrew from medical support and took a fatal overdose. No one made him do it.

Lost my mum to suicide 5 years ago in May. Completely agree with your comments.

In my humble opinion, she was absolutely stunning but that doesn’t matter one bean now. The impact of her untimely death will I hope resonate with other young people, this is no way out.

Speak, chat, message, ask a neighbour it doesn’t matter what just don’t keep it bottled up for fudges sake
I agree she was gorgeous! But I also disagree with your post you don’t know what mental state she was in, if she had psychotic depression she wouldn’t have even been in control of her actions let alone be able to ask for help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Making some very big assumptions about myself and my family history mate :nono:

I still fully believe that the legal system is at the very least partly to blame for this tragedy and have no doubt whatsoever that she was in fact being discriminated against precisely because of her "celebrity status"

I of course am not denying the harmful input from the tabloid press but am in no doubt whatsoever that this would all have blown over quite quickly if charges had not been pressed and a simple warning for a first offence given as would normally have been expected with the aggrieved party not wishing to proceed

There was no intention to offend you, apologies if that’s the case. I was clearly not commenting on your family history, it was about your knowledge of the law, and current legal practice and policy surrounding domestic violence, as demonstrated by your comments. Historically, if there was no complaint the police would simply leave it. This invariably put people at risk and continued domestic abuse, and things rightly had to change. A number of years ago that stopped and positive action will always be taken to safeguard victims. When evidence supports it, they will always look to prosecute regardless of whether the victim will provide a statement. That’s the same for everyone. You mentioned “a simple warning for a first offence given as would normally have been expected with the aggrieved party not wishing to proceed”. There is no such warning. If a case is NFA due to lack of evidence, informal advice may be given, but even then the police will often seek DVPO’s etc. But a domestic violence case won’t be NFA when the offence is serious enough (domestic violence of this level will always meet the public interest test) and there is evidence. If by warning you mean a police ‘caution’, you are mistaken as cautions are not issued in cases of domestic violence (or any case, if not fully admitted, and we don’t know what she said in interview). Cautions can be authorised by high ranking officers in very exceptional circumstances, but that’s rare and would never happen for what she was alleged to have done. From what I have read the police and CPS have done exactly what they have to do for all such cases, there is clearly no discrimination. In fact if they had not taken action that would have been discrimination against of victims and would look like special treatment if a popular celebrity. Of course we will never know everything. These were allegations (innocent until proven guilty) that had not been tested in court, I’m going simply off what is public knowledge. But we know enough to understand why it was happening. To blame the police/CPS for simply doing what they are expected, and have to do, is in my opinion ridiculous.

As for who is to blame? Well the tabloid press have been their usual obnoxious selves, and that obviously will have put a huge amount of pressure on her. That was probably a part of it, and when these things happen questions should rightly be asked. However people always look to blame someone, but often it’s more complicated than that. None of us knew her, but she may have just been a victim of mental-health problems and the complex circumstances of how her life has played out.

Very sad either way. RIP.

Last edited:

As much as I wanted to reply to this, the secret barrister on twitter cover's it better then I ever could. Worth a read.

Whilst it’s sad that this lady has taken her own life (as I’ve already stated), and there is no justification should media etc, they have given her cause to think that way.

However, let’s not forget that certain celebrities, make their living by just being themselves, and becoming ‘famous’, by sharing themselves. So why should it be a shock to them, when they fall from grace, that the media (and public) would not be so equally interested in that.

It's very sad, that what obviously started out as a domestic disagreement went public and has now ended in Ms Flack taking her own life.

Although as others have said reality TV people are lauded by the media and some members of the public. The media and reality tv coexist together, as do the media and tv in general. Once information is out there, it's not possible to take it back. The ex boyfriend is already on social media, grieving in public. Social media has always struck me as being completely trite.

While I wait for one with the Legal System included...... :rolleyes:

86497967_1429118490595178_6306494879526551552_n.jpg

She was smart,talented & had nice/good looks... plus a millionaire!
(Everything most people dream of in life or aspire to be.)

My understanding,it was probably a toxic relationship from the start,and he wasn't really her type from the get-go.(Just my honest opinion!)

Cheers.:(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom