• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Carmichael Survives Legal Challenge Despite "Blatant Lie"

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
A number of constituents from Orkney and Shetland mounted a legal challenge against Lib Dem MP Alistair Carmichael on the grounds he misled the public relating to the 'Nicola Sturgeon' memo:
Alistair Carmichael case: Legal bid to oust Lib Dem MP fails - BBC News

Although the court slammed his actions as a "blatant lie", they dismissed the case. Carmichael is "absolutely delighted" with the decision.

Notwithstanding his de-selection would probably have led to another SNP MP, I think this is a poor day for our democracy. Yes, politicians lie - but shouldn't we expect higher standards and, when so blatant, hold them to account for it?

nabby

Distinguished Member
No worse than what that Tory MP did wrt death threats from a constituent and putting it on Facebook.

Two wrongs don't make a right though :)

Last edited:

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member
This is why we really do need the right to recall MP's. This sort of behaviour should be subject to a recall after the electoral court processes have taken their course. The electorate is the ultimate judge or should be.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Isn't this down to the voters who don't pay attention to the candidates before voting?

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member
Unless you are switched on and pay attention to what Politicians say and fact check, it's quite difficult for most people to distinguish the truth from spin towards outright lies.

I think us having a right to recall an MP would perhaps make them think more carefully about how they conduct themselves. How you set up a right to recall so it's not used willy nilly is a hard question to answer, but it's not impossible.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Unless you are switched on and pay attention to what Politicians say and fact check, it's quite difficult for most people to distinguish the truth from spin towards outright lies.

I think us having a right to recall an MP would perhaps make them think more carefully about how they conduct themselves. How you set up a right to recall so it's not used willy nilly is a hard question to answer, but it's not impossible.
Agreed. I am not quite sure what Trollslayer meant from his post at #5 but, as far as I remember, the timeline here was: "lie", election then admission of said "lie". I am not sure that enables people to "pay attention to the candidates before voting". In this case the media and the public did pay attention - hence the outcry!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom