Carlton Cinema silly format.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Garrett, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    My parents bought a W/S TV and a ITV digi box. One day I was round and noticed the were watching programs through the digi box in 4:3. I explained to them that they was missing out on a lot of 16:9 programs. As the are not good with technical things I set the box for them in 16:9. I then showed them all the stations that were broadcasting in W/S the ones that did not transmit in 16:9 where stretched to fill the screen by the TV until I came to Carlton Cinema which refused to budge and was 4:3. I rang a friend who has a ITV digi box but has a 4:3 TV he said he has is box set for W/S and this channel shows borders al the way round the screen. So the picture must be expanding on my parents TV thus giving less number of lines, why not just transmit a full 4:3 picture in the first place
    Why does this station transmit 4:3 material in this fashion.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    It's not unusual for a station to broadcast this way, TCM and all the music channels do the same. It's 'LetterBox' Mode.
    It's just a waste of broadcast lines.

Even some DVDs are like this.

It is annoying and I see no reason why they don't broadcast in anamorphic 16:9 mode as 4:3 owners will still get the same letterboxed image.

Anybody know any contact details for CC or TCM so we can all have a go at them?!

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    BTW, you would normally set a WS TV to 'Zoom' mode for watching non-anamorphic programmes like Carlton Cinema.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    Kevo my parents set is set at Pan Auto, this fills the screen (W/S TV) on a normal 4:3 transmission. If a 16:9 is transmitted (non-anamorphic) it goes automatically into zoom, to fill the screen. If transmitted in anamorphic it automatically goes into 16:9. But Carlton Cinema must be transmitting a way, to come in on 16:9 signal a 4:3 shrunken picture, which zooms to a full 4:3, rather than the Panorama. Also on my mates 4:3 he does not have a zoom facility. The only way round this is to go into the ITV box, and reset every time the want to watch Carlton Cinema, then reset it back again for other channels, this would be a pain even for me let alone my parents. Why not just transmit the same signal as they are sending out for the 4:3, after all it is the exact same ratio, other channels do this!

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Sorry to disagree Kevo, but Carlton Cinema broadcasts EVERYTHING in anamorphic 16x9 mode.

Where their source is 4x3, they still broadcast 16x9 anamorphic, but they add black borders left and right to fill out the width of the 16x9 frame.

Assuming the digibox is set to "wide" or 16x9" or whatever, then the only way to watch ALL CC material is to set the TV to its full 16x9 mode (called full on JVCs, called Wide on Sonys) ie the same mode you need for anamorphic DVDs.

One day all TV stations will broadcast like this. When they do, nobody will ever again have to ask questions on this forum about which setting to use for this or that ratio. It will be decided for you by the broadcaster. And, we'll have no more autoswitching problems.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Well, all I can say that is that they must have changed their policy VERY recently. Only last week they were most definatley broadcasting in 4:3 Letter Box mode.

Unless it's different depending on how you receive digital.
    For instance, I am on NTL Cable and we do not receive Sky Sports in WS (16:9 or LetterBox), however Sat & ITVDig users do.

I'll check Carlton again tonight and post my findings later.

Meanwhile what format do other NTL users receive Carlton Cinema in?

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    OK - I should have made it clear - my experience is of a ITV digital STB.

Just checking - if your STB (cable box, whatever) is set to 4x3 letterbox (or whatever) then that's what you'll get. To see anamorphic you need to set it to 16x9 or wide or whatever.

But you knew that, didn't you?

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Garrett

Interesting reply.

My Tosh WS and my previous Sony WS TV always show(ed) CC in 4:3 mode, they never switched to anything else.
    I manually zoom it on the TV.
    However I am on Cable and your parents are on ITV Digital, so maybe there is something different in the signal, I don't know.

Funnily enough when I switch to Channel 4 on analog terrestrial my TV (and previous one) do indeed switch to Zoom mode, as C4 analog sometimes broadcast in Letter box. Try it on your parents set.

I am still convinced that CC broadcast in normal 4:3 mode and is just like any other non-widescreen channel (MTV, Sky One etc), so there is nothing to tell the TV to switch.

I can't understand why other 4:3 channels auto switch and CC does not on your parents set.

To be honest, the best set up is NOT to have it auto switch for 4:3 material as this distorts the picture in 'smart' mode and makes the picture look awful as well as hideously cropped in Zoom Mode.

I would turn it off and instruct your parents to use Zoom mode only if they get black horizontal borders (Letter boxed material).

You should never need to use the 'smart' mode on a WS TV as it just distorts the picture as well as crop the top & bottom.

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Garret

Why doesn't your friend just use the 4:3 setting all the time?
    What does CC look like on his TV on this STB setting?

10. dhmsport

dhmsport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am on NTL and CC is definately a 4:3 transmission on my set. Although there was a film on the other day which seemed to slip into anamorphic 16:9 for about 2 mins, unfortunately it was an anamorphic transmission of a 2.35:1 film presented in 4:3 which made everyone short and fat and there was no way to force the TV into zooming as it was happy in 16:9 mode!

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Don't tell me another WS channel we NTL users are missing out on :mad:

Sky Sports is bad enough !

Sat users....How do you receive CC and TCM ?

12. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Carlton Cinema is not available via Satellite and is only broadcast in anamorphic on ITVdigital, regardless of the film format. Consequently 4:3 mode has black vertical borders and 2.33:1 etc have black horizontal borders. Therefore a 4:3 tv would need to be set in 16:9 mode!

13. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i remember when i fist got sky didgital . the bbc channels used to do the same thing .

if you had the box set as wide screen a lot of the time when 4:3 stuff was being transmited the beeb just stuck the 4:3 image in the midle of the widescreen sig so you got black bars at the sides. this was very anoying as i like my screen to be full . the only thing to do was quickly go into the box setup menu and change the output to 4:3 (remembering to change it back after the prog finnished) luckily i think they must have got all the bugs sorted out now

i hav'nt seen this going on in rather some time . i can see exactly why it would anoy the hell out of you :(