Carlos Ezquerra - co creator of Judge Dredd

Sonic67

Ex Member
Reaction score
Died on Oct 1st

Carlos Ezquerra - Wikipedia

He was asked to visualise a new character, future lawman Judge Dredd, for the science fiction weekly 2000 AD, prior to its launch in 1977. His elaborate designs displeased the strip's writer, John Wagner, but impressed editor Pat Mills, and his cityscapes persuaded Mills to set the strip further into the future than initially intended. But Wagner (temporarily) quit over ownership issues, and Ezquerra followed him when the first published appearance of the character was drawn by another artist, Mike McMahon.

He was also responsible for part creating Strontium Dog.

Fascist Spain meets British punk: the subversive genius of Judge Dredd | Ian Dunt

Carlos Ezquerra: Tributes paid after Judge Dredd co-creator dies aged 70

RIP.

I started on 2000ad from the first prog. Dredd was in the second issue. I can remember the comic making a big thing of a new sci-fi film coming out. That was Star Wars.

First issue had a free Space Spinner - a frisbee. Then there was some stickers.

I never read them in 2000AD but a mate at work lent me a pile of collected stories from the comic and I really enjoyed them.

R.I.P. Carlos

He was the most iconic British comic artist for me, I am a huge fan of his work and lucky enough to have met him once and also to own a page of his original Dredd artwork.

The 2000AD podcast this week is a tribute special with lots of 2000AD creators and staff sharing memories of him, it's well worth a listen.

RIP Carlos, huge fan of your work.

@ Sonic67 the stickers were Mach 1, i believe they were drawn by Dave Gibbons.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom