Carl Zeiss lenses

D

duncanmcewan

I'm going to get myself a nice Sony HC39 or 42 at the weekend. Both those cameras have a Carl-Zeiss vario tessar (sp?) lens. I've also looked at the HC-90 (tad out of my budget...maybe)... but it has a vario-sonar lens. Just wondering what level of difference the lens makes?

So many cameras, so few magazine reviews ;)

Thanks for the inputs again,

Dunc.

At this level of cam, a wee bit, the zeiss lenses have better coatings which decrease internal reflections within the lens, this helps to reduce flare (the hexagonal stars accross bright scenes).

I wouldn't get too hung up about the various types of coating or assembly styles, all zeiss lenses are fairly good quality.

Sony used to use Canon lenses, but either canon stopped supplying them or Sony raised their game to compete with the likes of the leica 'approved' lenses on panasonics.

A lot of it is brand connaatations, with 1/6th inch ccds you are always going to have some issues, a branded lens will make a slight difference, but not much to be honest.

Thx for the response ... Is there any difference between the 2 type of Carl Zeiss lenses (Tessar vs sonnar)?

Dunc.

Going back many moons there would have been a slight difference. After production lens's used to be tested and if a top flight one was slightly below the it's accepted range it became the next one down. I do not know if this is still the case. I think from memory the "Sonnar" was the top one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom