Carl Zeiss Lenses for Sony A350

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by SmokingMagnum, Jan 30, 2009.

1. SmokingMagnum

SmokingMagnum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What does anybody think about the Carl Zeiss kit replacement lens for my A350? Is it worth the investment at c. £500 or is there something better?

How good are these lenses?

2. TonyH

TonyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Good enough to charge £500 for. Renouned for the quality of their glass. I would recommend you visit Dyxum.com for good lens comparison and review, all the minolta AF glass fits Sony and there is reviews of third party glass.
    Yes there is better out there if you want to double or triple your budget.

3. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,549
    CZ for £500! I assume your talking about the CZ16-80 (as it's the only one that that is so cheap!).

The CZ16-80 is a cracking lens, it's very sharp and probably the one lens that will make most use out the 14MP resolution of the A350. The downside to this lens is that it doesn't have a very fast/constant aperture (it's f3.5-f4.5, rather than f2.8 found on other lenses) and the build quality isn't upto the usual CZ standard (it's not that poor, just not as good as you'd expect.

The alternative is the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. It's not as sharp as the CZ (I have owned both at the same time), but it does have a constant f2.8 aperture. Although it's reasonably sharp at f2.8, it improves by f4 (not to the same level as the CZ though). The Tamron is around £300 I believe, so a reasonable amount cheaper.

4. SmokingMagnum

SmokingMagnum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

Spring - that Tamron looks brilliant! My magazine gives it 90% and a gold award so I think I'll be saving myself £200 and ordering it now... Unless you want to recommend something even better! ;-)

I will be using it for general purpose use as a replacement for the kits lens. Bit of indoor, outdoor and possibly some wildlife in South Africa in April. I don't want to keep changing lenses so I think this one will be versatile enough for me by the look of it and from what you've said. Thanks.

5. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Another one to consider is the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro. £212.99. Reviews are excellent. I can't find it cheaper (yet). Check out the Dyxum.com lens review.

Depends if you want the same focal range as the kit lens (which isn't that bad for £25.00) but to spend the additional wedge for improved IQ for the Siggy. Feedback on the lens has been all positive and comes highly recommended.

Now there's a thought! I reckon it's probably the best of the intermediate grade lenses. Not CZ quality (or price to match), but much improved over the kit offering. The Tammy looks a contender too (Tamron do have some quality glass for Sony/Minolta AF).

Tamron 17-50mm @ £251.99.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  6. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Sigma 17-70 is £210 at bristol cameras, very pleased with mine so far, only had it a couple of weeks. One of the main reasons for me choosing it over the others was the min focus distance of 20cm, You have to be careful not to touch what your taking the pic of :oops:

7. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Thanks for that.

Most people think focal distance is measured from the end of the lens (such as your Sigma's 20cm).

It isn't . . . . it's from the position of the sensor. If you look on top of your camera body, you should see a white circle with a horizontal line through it. That's the sensors relative position in the camera, so measure 20cm (or whatever) from there and not from either the lens mount or the end of the lens.

EDIT: Just ordered Sig 17-70 DC + Tam 55-200 Di II LD from BC this morning :eek:)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009