Care home deaths exceed those in hospitals

I'm not happy with the care home situation again, and I'm not convinced the vaccine is moving fast enough in them.

The new strain only needs to take hold in them and it will be very difficult once again to manage. And also have an impact on discharging current patients from hospitals I expect.

I'm not happy with the care home situation again, and I'm not convinced the vaccine is moving fast enough in them.
Don't know what the hell is going on at my wifes care home. She's rung me and they've been told non of the staff are going to be done. I've rung our GPs and they aren't doing it yet so a bit stumped about how to get her the jab. I'll find out more when we speak later.

Wifes care home is served by 4 GP practices. One is coming in and only vaccinating the residents who are on their books. The other GPs will be in touch to do their residents as and when.

So where does that leave the staff, who is going to do them? Managers are stumped on what the way forward is.

I've mistakenly thought a system would be in place where someone would come out and do the whole care home in one go.

It's a farcical situation when there is a chance that those who have been vaccinated might not pass on the virus compared to a 100% guarantee those that haven't been vaccinated can.

Last edited:
They need to hurry up. A friend of my wife was given a quick test before going into work at her care home and that was positive. The result from the hospital test has confirmed the positive result. She has no symptoms.

My old man still not had his jab, nor have the other residents. Yet people younger and outside of homes have clearly been getting theirs.

And I'm meant to believe the vaccine programme is going brilliantly. It should have been a very simple exercise to target all care homes; they're static with all staff and residents under one roof.

My old man still not had his jab, nor have the other residents. Yet people younger and outside of homes have clearly been getting theirs.

And I'm meant to believe the vaccine programme is going brilliantly. It should have been a very simple exercise to target all care homes; they're static with all staff and residents under one roof.

You would expect that to be one of the easiest ways to achieve high numbers of immunisations. Captive audience, one medical professional, a bunch of jabs and Bob‘s your uncle.
They aren’t waiting for a GP or something are they?
No staff on site qualified to inject? (Wifeynurse just said, “probably”. She’s qualified, I’ll send her round).

You would expect that to be one of the easiest ways to achieve high numbers of immunisations. Captive audience, one medical professional, a bunch of jabs and Bob‘s your uncle.
They aren’t waiting for a GP or something are they?
No staff on site qualified to inject? (Wifeynurse just said, “probably”. She’s qualified, I’ll send her round).

Indeed.

Apparently it's purely down to the vaccine not arriving. They're just waiting. There's a similar situation in other homes in Liverpool, and some parts of Liverpool have had the worst numbers too (still might).

I'll join in with vaccine applause when the job is done, not when it's still half a job done (well not even close to half actually).

The care home my sister in law works at has multiple cases, all stemming from a patient transferred from hospital on Christmas Eve without a test carried out first.

And they still haven't vaccinated all the people in care homes, but plenty outside at far lesser risk have been now.

Piss poor logistics.

Last edited:
Sad seeing those deaths ramp up again. There's lots of criticism up here because we're slightly behind on the completed vaccinations of the >80 cohort compared to rUK except ScotGov set off with a different strategy based on the below chart. Much greater focus has been placed on care home residents and their carers along with other front-line staff which is logistically more time consuming but as can be seen below vaccinations of these groups has much greater leverage in reducing deaths. The net result is we have now completed 97-98% of care home residents well ahead of the other home nations for this cohort, fingers crossed we won't see the rise in deaths seen elsewhere

1611669884694.png

Sounds like a far better logistical plan.

Nothing will convince me otherwise that as good as vaccinating large numbers is the government are only primarily focused on hitting the target they decided to set. For the headlines and pats on back.

I'd be happier if they missed that target but could then show that they've targeted more efficiently in order to reduce deaths and transmission.

Looks like my old man was one of the last then! This was the benchmark for me personally, so very glad it's all done and a great effort all round to achieve it.

Potentially one of the most time consuming groups as well to manage.

Judging by what Cuomo has done in New York, my 86 year old uncle was lucky to only suffer a mild case of COVID-19 when there was an outbreak at his care home last summer.

Not been on this thread before.
My mum had Huntingdons Disease.
She went in early November.
She was vaccinated
Tested positive with “no symptoms” after 9 days
They isolated her.
After the 10 days she was back in her room.
Sunday 21st I went to visit her as her breathing had gotten shallow.
She passed away Monday 22nd.

The doctor has put COVID down on her death certificate with Huntingdons.
So I don’t think i had the whole story from the care home

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom