1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cards on PW6

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Bobby_Dazzler, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Bobby_Dazzler

Bobby_Dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick question for all you clever ones out there !

I am looking to run 3 RG59 cables to a wall mounted PW6 to keep it future proof, It as been suggested to terminate them with a BNC and then convert the BNC to a phono via small adaptor. This all sounds very easy but what cards will i need and can i only use one card per cable?

Regards

Bobby

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Bobby,

To future proof my advice would be to run the three YUV cables to the PW6's YUV board. The cables should have BNC at the plasma end (you can get phono to BNC converters but best practice is not to use these as theoretically they can introduce impedance mis-matching). The amp end depends on the outputs of your amp - probably phono?

Also run a VGA to VGA lead as you can then use the VGA input, which comes as standard with the PW6. You now have two useable inputs and by converting RGB to VGA you get the best out of Sky, Freeview,cable etc.

Piers

Home Cinema Engineering
    www.hiomecinemaengineering.com

3. Bobby_Dazzler

Bobby_Dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so am i right in saying that the PW6 as standard only has the vga input?

you are right that the dav only has phono outputs, so you recomend using phono at one end and then bnc on the other what card will i need? then conecting the sky + directly to the PW6 via VGA ( using a converter )?

regards bobby

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Bobby,

You got it. Phono to BNC leads into component board for your DAV. Sky+ via JS Tech RGB to VGA converter. VGA to VGA lead into the VGA terminal on the PW6. Job done.

Piers

5. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Piers - I take it the JS Tech "RGB to VGA" box is (much?) better than the SyncBlaster "RBG to VGA" cable?

Throw an xbox into the mix Piers and how would you connect that up? I'm thinking of just daisy-chaining it (via scart) through my (Telewest) digital cable box - which will mean it would then end up going through teh JS Tech box too (or the Syncblaster cable if you say the quality is ok!). Any issues with that?

ZedZed

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Bobby

If your trying to 'future proof' the 'installed' cabling to a wall mounted display you'll want:

1 x DVI-D cable for Digital Video.
    2 x Five Core video Multicore - for 'Hi Band - YUV and RGB' Component Video and Analogue PC.
    1 x S-Video for 'lo band' Composite and S-Video.
    1 x RS232 for plasma control

Once you have that cable set up you have every angle covered and you can then populate the Plasma Expansion slots as required.

CAT5 may be viable for 'enthusiasts' who are handy with a soldering iron and want to do a bit of experimentation using them as a video cable but not really relevant if your not in that camp.

Best regards

Joe

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    ZedZed

Don't compromise your installation for the sake of a few quid - go with the JS Technology RGB converters they have proven time and again they are the optimum match with your display; plus they're designed and built just down the road in Ayrshire (you wont get better Tech Support than having Dr John 30 miles away).

The TH-42PWD6BX (Charcoal) as Standard comes without any video cards and the TH-42PW6B (Silver) as Standard usually has a SCART board fitted - after that you can choose to populate the rest of the video card slots (three in total) or not.

Most 'Consumer' dealers (TH-42PW6B) will supply the RCA 'Component' terminal board not the BNC 'Component' terminal board as an option so you may have to purchase a BNC board from a different supplier if you want BNC rather than RCA at the Plasma.

Best regards

Joe

8. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Cheers Joe. Yeah - I'm going to go for the Js convertor I think - saving £60 isn't that much - esp since it's going to be used for my Telewest box (which i think will be the poorest quality input signal).

RCA vs BNC - any difference in quality/cost etc.? (it looks like the BNC board is cheaper?)

Actually - RCA might be better? Future consoles (xbox 2 etc.) are more likely to come with "high def. RCA cables" ??

Zedzed

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello ZedZed

Ahha - seeing the light then :)

Your options for Component video connectivity are as follows:

01. TY-42TM6Z - RCA Component board (3RCA for YUV + 2RCA for LR Audio)

02. TY-42TM6A - BNC Component board (3BNC for YUV + 2RCA for LR Audio)

03. TY-42TM6Y - BNC Component/Composite board (5BNC for YUV or RGBHV + 2RCA for LR Audio + 1BNC for Composite + 1 x S-Video + 2RCA for LR Audio)

Items 01 and 02 are pretty similar in price - whilst Item 03 is about double; also note Item 03 uses Two input slots on your display.

Best regards

Joe

10. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah - I'm seeing the light Joe - although every now and then something crops up that makes me think I still have a lot to learn in the AV world :)

Like ... why do the boards have audio inputs - given that the PW6 doesn't have speakers??? Presumably you can hook speakers up directly to the panel? Anyways - I'm planning on running all my audio (as I currently do) through my Sony DAVS ..... so that shouldn't matter.

ZedZed

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello ZedZed

Yes Two spring clip terminals on the rear of the panel enable you to output a 'massive' 4WPC to pretty much any speaker pair you want; though you can get slim line side mount jobs.

Best regards

Joe