Card Reader doesn't read 2gb SD card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by WildeKarde, May 8, 2007.

1. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +922
    Just bought a 2gb SD card (DaneElec) and my laptop seems picky over reading it, as does the card reader in my printer.

Reads OK on the external card reader I have.

Laptop (Acer Aspire) has a card reader in it and the epson R300 card reader is built in. They read up to 1gb cards with no problems but the 2gb card doesn't even register

Any ideas? Is it just a driver update or will I need another card reader for the laptop at least?

2. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    A lot of older readers just can't cope beyond 1gb. I've tried 4 here (SD card MP3 player, external reader, laptops internal and my WD Media drive), none of them work with 2gb cards. The Media drive has a firmware bug, the others are just too old. Most just don't recognise the card.

Also I can read mine (2gb Dataright SD) through my camera but only using mains power, seems to need a little more voltage than my 1gb cards.

Firmware updates might fix the problem, if you can find one. You're probably stuck gettin a new reader and it might be worth investing in a HDSC version if you plan on using even bigger cards - old readers won't work.

3. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Just found this update for my laptops Texas Instruments PCIxx20 card reader. It can now read my 2Gb card! You can check your card reader chipset under 'Device Manager/PCMCIA Slots and Flash memory devices' to see if this will work for you.

4. jaydee999

jaydee999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Paul
    Couldn't get my Play.com 2GB card to read in my work laptop but now I can!. Gonna try it at home on the PC as well.

5. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    ..for the non-hackers amongst us... since we don't all run alien firmware on half our hardware or have nerves of steel hammering square drivers into round devices :)

The drivers are specifically for PCIxx21 chipsets, however they appear to work happily for PCIxx20 variants and probably will with others. As long as you can rollback your drivers it should be safe to try the upgrade - if it fails just rollback. No guarantees, if you aren't confident pay attention to the install warning and abort.

BTW there's also a PCIxx1? driver in there for truly ancient machines.

6. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Final update (I hope)

There's a PCIxx20 specific driver here that supports 2Gb cards. Seems to fix issues with Standby&Hibernate using the xx21 version on xx20 hardware.

Same as before, unpack the file and point the manual driver update at the resulting Windows\tiinst folder.

7. Slothy

Slothy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FYI, for some people that have this problem, it could also potentially be an OS issue. My machine won't read 2GB sd cards when running Vista, but on the same hardware with Windows 2003 Server all is just fine. 1GB and less work just fine even on Vista.

Same card readers also work fine on laptop running XP, the problem appears to be Vista related.

8. elmbeck

elmbeck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

Did you sort this out with Vista? I am having the same problem with my card reader.