Card for 3D projector

RevTurk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can help. I recently bought an Epson TW6000 projector and I can't get the 3D working with my current card a Nvidia GTX460. I've even tried the trial of the 3DTV which also wouldn't work and just threw up errors even though the card is supposed to be 3D ready.

I want to replace the card while I can still get a good price for it but I don't know what to replace it with.

I originally went with the Nvidia card for it's After effects support with cuda, it renders special effects on the fly which I'm assuming is better than ATI cards.

I also see that ATI cards don't have a supported devices list like Nvidia cards do so I'm assuming they use something more generic that will work on any 3D device.

I kind of would like to stick with Nvidia for the extra features of the card but if an ATI card can work as well and give me guaranteed 3D I would go for one of those.

Which way should I go?

There's no single 3d standard, '3d ready' means the GTX 460 will work fine with nVidia's 3d Technology. You need the consult the documentation for the 3d software that came with your projector to see which cards are compatible.

Surely there must be some standard as I can buy a blueray player in the shop and it would work? According to the manual it will do side by side, top and bottom and frame packing. The refreash rate is 240hz I think so as far as I can tell it can display most 3D images it's just my card won't recognise it as being capable of going over 60hz. I don't know if the HDMI port is truly 1.4.

Both your card and projector are listed as being compatible with 3DTV Play at
3DTV Play Requirements
so I'd guess that a different nvidia card won't necessarily change things.

Have you got the latest nvidia drivers installed? What's the error message you get? What connection are you using (hdmi I guess)? Which OS?

From what I've read I think that nvidia only let devices work whose manufacturers have had them approved - and 3dtv has a list of what's allowed. As your ticket was from Nov, maybe the TW6000 wasn't approved then, but is now? I'm hoping the TW6000 works as I've just ordered one...

I think I found that it might be possible to run a hack to spoof the device EDID to make it be allowed by 3dtv but I don't know how easy / reliable that would be, and anyway that shouldn't be a problem any more.

Can you post back if it works? Are you planning to try any 3d games?

Last edited:
Ya I have the two batman games and bought the projector for 3D gaming. Bought 3DTV there and it's still giving the same error, "Error in stereo driver, NvAPI_stereo_IsActived() returned 0 ater stereo was enabled by default with setting->setDefaultStarupMode(true)".

It still won't recognise the display as having a refresh rate above 60hz

Just noticed I need to download the beta driver 290.36 the standard driver is only 285 so the automatic update aid I was up to date.. so all may not be lost!

No, the 3D setup went well but no program seems to have noticed a change. Cyberlink power DVD 9 won't play 3D bluerayss or recognise there's a 3D ready display and no games will work in 3D.

ps there's a 290.53 version at NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search . Don't know if that will help.

[-]I don't know when my tw6000 will come - waiting to hear back from IdealAV at the moment - but I'll be in the same boat as you then.[/-]

My TW6000 has come, and with 290.53 beta drivers, 3dtv play software, the 3d works well. Tried with Trine2, half-life2 and Overlord2 so far.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom