Carcassonne

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IGN have a hands-on of this future XBLA release, read it here:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/780/780382p1.html?RSSwhen2007-04-13_072500&RSSid=780382

Along with Catan I'm really looking forward to this one, we have the board game which is great but tends to nearly always stretch off the table due to the way the game expands during play. Will be easier to manage on the tv screen:D

It's the perfect introduction for those that don't usually play board games, really simple to learn but pretty addictive to keep it fun, hope some of the expansions come along later as optional add-ons as they do add alot to the game IMO. Sounds like it's quite likely they will from the below statement.

The developers are also open to releasing some of the many expansions for the game after release, although nothing is announced and it will probably depend on the game's popularity on Live.

Cool. I've never played it but I know it's highly rated and I nearly went as far as buying for my girlfriend one Christmas...never did though.

Looks like there is a move to getting more boardgames on Live :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cool. I've never played it but I know it's highly rated and I nearly went as far as buying for my girlfriend one Christmas...never did though.

Looks like there is a move to getting more boardgames on Live :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tell you what, if you fancy the idea of playing the odd board game with your GF, Carcassonne:The Castle(a standalone game, not an expansion) is fantastic, although it is two players only. My GF loves that game now & we haven't even picked the original Carc up since buying it. The City is a newer more expensive version(nice wooden pieces) which looks very similar but can cater for 2-4 players.

I still like the original Carc though(it's pretty friendly playing in comparison), get's better with a couple expansions thrown in such as The River + Inns & Cathedrals.

Carcassonne is due for release on XBLA sometime in June by the way. Looking forward to both this & Catan, I guess if they're popular we could see a loads more jump over to XBLA which would be great:)

Yeah, it would be great, the more the merrier in my opinion. I like playing board & card games, but no one in my real life is particularly interested. Would be good to get some sort of Magic the Gathering card game on XBLA too.

Just found some nice new screens for Carc.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=75164

Looks like at least The River expansion is included which is good news!

I wish they'd hurry up with this or ...Catan. What's the bet they're both released on the same day :rolleyes:

If both do well, it will be interesting to see how this effects the sales of the board games proper. Having heard plenty about both (and been close to buying) but never having played either, if the 360 versions are as good as I'm hoping, I'll definitely be buying the originals.

Gamespot had a mini-preview of Carcassonne this week. Not much info but worth a quick read.

Carcassonne

Looking forward to this, should sit nicely alongside Catan as they're both very different games.

Carc is alot more simplistic but enough depth to keep it playable, also I tend to prefer just two players for this one, despite the fact you can have up to five, get's too limited otherwise.

Nice fast game aswell, probably looking at around half an hour per game max, around half the average time than a game of Catan.

Been pretty quiet on this one, no news for a while, do you still think we could get a June release?

Been pretty quiet on this one, no news for a while, do you still think we could get a June release?
Well there's only one more June release to go and we'll find out either today or tomorrow what it is. I have a nagging feeling that a game has already been announced for the 27th but can't track it down.

It was certainly due for release in June, although from memory I think that was mid June so guess it could have slipped already.

Wouldn't take too much notice of wikipedia but who knows, guess we'll find out soon enough.

Hope it arrives at 400 instead of the now almost standard 800 point bracket, should be cheaper than Catan IMO.

Confirmed for this week:

Well, many wanted it last week but we had to "settle" for Band of Bugs. Fortunately for all you European board game lovers out there Carcassonne is coming this week (I hacked that link just for our readers here). Luckily it won't take generations of slave labor to get your castles, towns, and roads built in this game so the only guilt you might be feeling while playing will be of the pleasure variety.

As for key features, my eyes fall squarely on the up to 5 players over Live and 4 players locally (sounds like developers are finally getting the message about local play). With options like that, you're bound to get it. Resistance is feudal. (The person responsible for the previous joke has just been sacked.)

Images forthcoming!

Press Release after the break.

[via Press Release]

Build a Medieval Empire on Xbox LIVE Arcade with the Popular German Board Game "Carcassonne"

The classic, well-known European board game "Carcassonne" arrives on Xbox LIVE Arcade for Xbox 360 this Wednesday, June 27 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (2:00 a.m. Pacific).

Named after the medieval fortified town of Carcassonne in southern France, famed for its city walls, "Carcassonne" for Xbox LIVE Arcade starts with an empty landscape and a single square tile. Using strategic tactics and a little luck, one to five four players take turns selecting from 72 tiles displaying various features of a city including roads, the walls of a castle or fields. The medieval countryside thrives as players and their opponents place tiles and complete towns, roads, and farms while competing to accumulate the most points.

The rules of the game are easy with no elimination and fast gameplay – perfect for just about anyone! Although simple, devoted players will find layers of strategy that will keep them coming back for more. Combining a fresh visual experience and the opportunity to always have a playing partner, "Carcassonne" is the future for board game fanatics.

Fantastic, cheers for that Caveman:smashin:

No mention of price yet, although I'll probably cave in and buy even if it is 800 points(hope it'll be 400 though).

Will be easier to get online games organised between friends than with Catan, it's alot faster play in Carcassonne and plays perfectly with just 2 players. Great news about the local multiplayer inclusion, my GF likes this game but we rarely play the board game version as it nearly always grows off the edges of the table:rolleyes:

800 points according to Xboxic :thumbsup:

Suspected as much, shame really as if they'd priced it at 400 it would have been the perfect game to convert the non-board game players who aren't willing to shell out 800 points to give the game a proper trial(the demos never do these types of games justice IMO).

Jetpac Refuelled raised the bar on value for money packages but since then the 400 point games seem to have completely disappeared:((with exception the poor retro conversions).

Looking forward to Carc regardless though, hopefully play some of you lot online once released:)

Wow...this is a bolt from the blue. Will definitely be getting this on release day. Glad I saved those points :)

I finally crumbled and bought Band of Bugs last night, so I topped up my points ready for this coming out on Wednesday. Looking forward to it too

Just had my first couple of games, perfect conversion of a board game classic!

Had a quick ranked game & managed to pick up the "king for a day" achievement in the same game:)

Shame there aren't any free gamerpics included in the download, would've loved a meeple pic:D

Just had my first crack too - my first impression is this is the definition of easy to pick up, hard to master. Very positive, and up to 5 players online, and 4 players offline multiplayer too. Very well presented, and look forward to getting into this more. (4x achievements in my first game!) :smashin::smashin:

I don't know what it is, but I just do not seem to get this at all at the moment - only downloaded the trial so I will keep trying.....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom