Carbon copy cloner or Time machine

PeterF

Novice Member
Reaction score
My MacBook Pro died, and so I have ordered a new Macbook Air. I salvaged the hard drive from the MBP, and I also have a Time Machine backup of the MBP. To copy all applications, preferably without needing to re-activate licenses and permissions, should I use CarboCopyCloner, or should I use migration assistant with the Time Machine backup? (The SSD in the MBAir is large enough to hold all my MBP apps and my data) Thanks Peter

In either instances it may be the case that you need to reinstall and/or re serialise some of your applications. Adobe CS products for instance use hardware id to verify their serials with so a new Mac will not correspont to the old ID.

I'd personally only migrate settings and do a clean install of your applications. You'll avoid moving over older preferences and obsolete items this way. It will also give you the opportunity to ensure all your applications are up to date and the most compatible versions for use with the new Mac's installed OS.

Save your old cloned system though until you are sure that everything is working as you'd like it to. If you do have issues then you can always boot up into the old setup on an external drive and use your old apps on that drive until you've got the new setup running smoothly.

Last edited:
Thank you for an extremely speedy and helpful reply! Peter

And I would (and have) use Migration assistant. Yes one or two apps need reactivation but that is fine, it is an easy and quick process.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom