Caravan Satellite Dish & Receiver

boingboing

I've just bought the following and wondered if it would be any good?

HTML:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=FAQ&ModuleNo=48737&doy=16m5#faq

Every year we go down to a place near Padstow and the site that we use has a poor TV reception and if I bought a freeview box, it would be pointless as they cant receive it down there yet.

Anyway, a few questions:-

1. Are these things easy to set up?
2. What type of channels can i expect to get? Sports and Movies would be good!
3. I already have a satellite finder (which I havent used) which I got from Lidl for £5, is it easy to use these things?
4. I've noticed that its only a 39cm dish, is this big enough to receive a decent reception?
5. I currently have Sky HD but also have a spare Sky+ box. Can I take my card out of the HD box, put it in the Sky+ box and get Sky to pair them up temporarily?

Thanks in advance.

frankmsl

I have used one of these type of units before and to be honest the size of dish is a problem for receiving SKY on Astra. I tried a similar dish in Ireland and it would NOT work at all. However in the Southeast of the UK it should work when the weather is not to bad.
a. If you know what you are doing they are easy to setup. Have a look at other houses to guess the direction in which you have to mount it.
b. The stronger (higher bandwidth) channels such as SKY movies and BBC should come through best
c. They are helpful. Basically they just beep when a sattelite signal is detected. You will have to have someone looking at the signal on the screen inside as well to get it right.
d. 39 cm dish is really small, 50 cm would normally be the minimum
e,. A SKY HD card cannot be paired with a Sky plus box. You will have also an issue with a new SKY subscription since you will need to connect it to a phone line. You can buy online some prepaid cards that get around this problem. They are usually bought by british living outside of the UK and are pretty expensive.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
I have been using one of these for holidays for 3 years now with excellent reception in Devon, Kent, South Wales and most of southern England below Birmingham and the only signal loss is during the most serious thunderstorms.

Finding the right satellite the first time can be a little difficult but after a couple of setups it gets easier, I usually find the inbuilt signal strength indicator in the supplied receiver quite useful.

You could use your Sky card in your spare box BUT you will not be able to record etc and will not be able to view the Premium channels (Sky movies and sky Sports). So basically all the mix channels and Setanta if you subscribe to that.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
e,. A SKY HD card cannot be paired with a Sky plus box. You will have also an issue with a new SKY subscription since you will need to connect it to a phone line. You can buy online some prepaid cards that get around this problem. They are usually bought by british living outside of the UK and are pretty expensive.

A card cannot be temporarily paired with another box.

What prepaid cards are you talking about - do you mean the Freesat cards from Sky which are now only necessary for channel 4 (although this can be obtained another way on a Sky box), Five, Five US, Fiver, Sky 3, Setanta Sports News BUT they will not get any of the subscription channels. Anyone with a UK postal address can order these for a one off payment of £20.

SG01

Standard Member
Just in case anyone's still looking, we have these systems on sale at the moment. They are from Comag (who make the Aldi and Lidl kits). With the AVForums 10% discount, they are a bit of a bargain.

See here for a couple of others too.

If you are looking to go up to Scotland or the borders, you would be better off with a Satgear kit with a bigger 65cm dish here. The 12v receivers in all of these kits are ideal for caravan or camping use.

arthurdentpc

OR ...... you could do holiday-type things instead and forego the TV for 2 weeks of the year ......

Just a suggestion :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom