Caravan internet

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by bogart99, Jun 21, 2015.

1. bogart99

bogart99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Whilst house hunting down the south west I will be staying in a caravan. Some locations will have the internet others not. For those that do not how is it best to access the internet? Been told I could use a WiFi hotspot such as a TP-Link M5350 and a 3G sim. Not sure how this works. Does the sim plug straight into the hotspot thingy or how does it work?
    Thanks

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    Have a look at your mobile phone - if it's a reasonably flash modern one c/w a data service, it may offer mifi functionality. I know iPhones do.

It may not be the cheapest (3/4G data is eye wateringly expensive) or the fastest, but if only a short term requirement, it may do and save you buying kit & another 3/4G data contract.

3. bogart99

bogart99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Not sure if my phone is that great. Plus if the phone is offsite that means no internet at the caravan.
    Thanks

4. bogart99

bogart99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Have a Huawei Y300 which looks to be able to connect other items to internet using usb tethering but that limits it to one computer. There is an option of Portable wi-fi hotspot will that mean I can connect more than one computer? I would assume the USB is more secure.
    Next need to decide whose network/ sim card to go for.

Thanks

5. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    Another option if you only have a single device and it's a laptop - buy a USB dongle that works 3/4G and forego some sort of "router" altogether.

If multiple client devices need to be serviced, or they has no USB sockets, then you need a "router" that offers a 3/4G Internet link. I've never used one, but they do exist. A (USA) based web site called SmallNetBuilder reviews a good range of SOHO gear - he may have done some mifi's so you might care to take a look there.

6. bogart99

bogart99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Seen the EE Buzzard 2 dongle which seems ok. My only problem with tethering the phone is as stated before they limit, or do not allow at all any tethering of other devices.