Car written off; buying advice please

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Hello

My Golf just got mashed by a truck whilst parked , truck company have agreed liability.

The car is a write off according to the insurance company and they are paying out the fractional value of the car £4100. (originally I paid £5500 for it two years ago)

Now I hated the golf , my wife handled the purchase ( as she does the driving ...I'm rarely in the UK these days). It was described as mint ( it wasn't) and required 2 major repairs in the time I had it that cost me another £1000 in total. Bought from a friend's brother ( car dealer) who I have trouble not punching when I see him as a result.

Wife wants to spend the £4k on an astra that a local dealer has ( assume it comes with 2 year warranty).

I don't want to buy another lemon that costs me even more money to repair so I've suggested I match the 4k from the insurance and she buys something for 8k.

Chances are we'll keep the car for 4 years at least but its main use is the school run anf shopping so I want to ensure its reliable and safe , hence upping the money.

My wife and me are having serious disagreement over this , she wants the astra for 4k I want to buy something a bit more reliable and better from a safety perspective bioth physically and financially.

My credit rating is great and I have savings to cover the full cost if required ( rather get a loan though).

Who is right ? Me or the missus?

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Nothing wrong with a £4k astra for the school run, yes it may be older and less reliable then an £8k newer car but then even new cars have problems. If repair bills are putting you of then i'd spend the 8k on something like a Kia/Hyundai with a lengthly warranty. You could pick up a Kia Rio/Cee'd for well under 8k and believe me when i say they are decent cars.

Inked

Distinguished Member
Nothing wrong with a £4k astra for the school run, yes it may be older and less reliable then an £8k newer car but then even new cars have problems. If repair bills are putting you of then i'd spend the 8k on something like a Kia/Hyundai with a lengthly warranty. You could pick up a Kia Rio/Cee'd for well under 8k and believe me when i say they are decent cars.

Agreed, also look at the Hyundai i30, had one as a loaner and it was much better than I expected it to be, interior was better than my fiesta, and had lots of kit.

paulk

Novice Member
Wife wants to spend the £4k on an astra that a local dealer has ( assume it comes with 2 year warranty).
Don't assume - make sure you check. A £4k Astra is more likley to come with 30 or 90 day warranty unless its via dealer and 'approved' (usually 12 months) or has part of original new car warranty if transferrable.

With all second hand cars regardless of age, go over both the car and the paperwork very carefully. The more service history and documentation the better, particularly old MOTs/ service records and receipts which can validate mileage.

Get your own HPI check too - although do make sure you specifically ask the dealer if the car has any finance outstanding or has been involved in an accident or stolen. Seems pedantic, and should not be an issue buying from a trader but it's always best to ask the question before buying second hand.

As to whether a £4k car is better than an £8k car - hard to say without looking at both properly and a test drive. It's easy to assume the more expensive car would be better (it certainly should) but that doesn't necessarily follow as it depends on mileage, spec, history, condition etc.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Actually I'm now toying with the idea of a 3 year old bmw 3 series for 12k with 40k on the clock :D

njdbaxter

i bought an astra this year, 1.4 acive with parking sensors and othe extras for £4,800. they give me a cheque back for 6 months tax.

was registered on dec 2006 and only 28,000 miles.

second hand cars are dearer here in NI, so in england could pick up one in similiar conditon for £4k eassy

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom