Question Car with stop/start causing dashcam to turn off?

bubblegum57

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Elephas B40 A118C dashcam. But I had a problem, after my car with stop/start restarted the engine, the dashcam would turn off, then after stopping & starting the dashcam would turn back on. The 12v socket is on permanently.
I tried turning the G-sensor off, no help.
I have now sent this back, but before I try another dashcam, has anyone else had this sort of problem?

Thanks

My guess is the 12v supply from your socket is not very stable, when the car starts the voltage dips which makes the dashcam assume the iginition is being powered off.
I use an SJCAM4000WiFi which is really an action cam with a car mode - it has an internal battery so doesn't shut down for a brief ignition off but my car doesn't have stop/start so I can't be sure that will work for you.

My guess is the 12v supply from your socket is not very stable, when the car starts the voltage dips which makes the dashcam assume the iginition is being powered off.
I use an SJCAM4000WiFi which is really an action cam with a car mode - it has an internal battery so doesn't shut down for a brief ignition off but my car doesn't have stop/start so I can't be sure that will work for you.

Thanks for your reply. I think you are right. Today I noticed the windscreen wipers stopped when the car turned over. The car is a 65 plate Octavia, so it's probably not the car itself.
I'm hoping having an internal battery will be the answer, I liked the idea of a capacitor, because I hear dashcam battery's don't last very long.
Ordered
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LCSATE6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Most cars will turn off unnecessary accessories whilst cranking (to prevent damage due to voltage drop), though I would have thought the makers of stop-start enabled vehicles would have considered this.
Maybe the answer for dashcams is to interface via a power block which contains an easily-obtained emergency lighting or hobby type 12v battery (or even a bank of LiIon or standard replaceable mobile phone batteries) and a relay. When the lighter socket is powered, the relay closes allowing the dashcam to start. If the lighter socket voltage drops it will still hold the relay closed, and power to the dashcam comes from the reserve battery. The battery charge can be maintained whilst the car is running. If necessary a timer can be incorporated to allow the relay to stay closed over short power interruptions.

Most cars will turn off unnecessary accessories whilst cranking (to prevent damage due to voltage drop), though I would have thought the makers of stop-start enabled vehicles would have considered this.
Maybe the answer for dashcams is to interface via a power block which contains an easily-obtained emergency lighting or hobby type 12v battery (or even a bank of LiIon or standard replaceable mobile phone batteries) and a relay. When the lighter socket is powered, the relay closes allowing the dashcam to start. If the lighter socket voltage drops it will still hold the relay closed, and power to the dashcam comes from the reserve battery. The battery charge can be maintained whilst the car is running. If necessary a timer can be incorporated to allow the relay to stay closed over short power interruptions.

I came to the conclusion, that the capacitor version was the problem, the cap only allows the saving of internal date & time, a battery powered dash cam would be the answer. Although these batteries do not last long.
I sent the original back & have tried a E-Prance D101, this worked although it did not give full windscreen coverage, & at night the quality was poor & oncoming car headlights dazzled.
So I am sending that one back.
I am now looking at other dashcams.
Thanks for your interest.

My company deals with this sort of thing on a daily basis. It tends to be an intermittent issue, but with stop-start technology, the camera basically shuts down as it isn't getting enough voltage, probably due to the amount of electrics still running. This can happen even during fairly short stops, say at a set of traffic lights.

There are modules you can buy which will keep the voltage up, as certain stop-start technology vehicles can have a higher voltage draw when in 'stop' mode, causing a potential issue.

To be honest, ALL vehicles with a poor battery may give this issue when cranking as the voltage momentarily drops, but most equipment has a capacitor inside to retain voltage stability for a few seconds.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for all replies, the car is a brand new Skoda Octavia, so it is unlikely a problem with the car battery.
I suspect a volt drop as the car turns over. I had purchased it from Amazon, & just returned it, I then received another dashcam with an internal battery, this didn't turn on/off with the stop start, but I thought the night video was poor & sent that back.
I am now considering a B60 which is an upgraded version of the B40, but knowing me, I won't make a decision until I have an accident & then wish I had a dashcam.

If you are not totally convinced stop start on a car has a great advantage to you, you can usually permanently disable the feature in the car software. i tried a Skoda diesel with it before the hassle but I simply didn't get on with the feature. I personally doubt stopping the engine every time the car stops is always a good thing in terms of emissions and it depends on your typical journeys IMO - but everyone is entitled to their preferences :)

I have an E118C dash cam and I run it from a 5V, 10Ah lithium power bank mounted with Velcro straps to the underside of the passenger sun visor. Works a treat, just have to pull the usb plug to turn it off, or use the power switch on the power bank. You do have to remember to turn it on though and charge the battery when needed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom