• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

car with cheapest insurance for 20 year old

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

alexs2

Distinguished Member
You probably won't like this much,but when I was shopping around for my kids,the cheapest cars to insure were the Ford Ka and Nissan Micra.

sidicks

Banned
A lot of Micras are driven by old people so that probably makes them cheaper to insure for youngsters too!!
:smashin:
Sidicks

jenic

Prominent Member
Fiat [-]cingquesenco[/-] that one no one can say or spell

Ive done a fair few quotes and these are always the cheapest cars to insure.

G-Wizz might be quite pricey because it goes on parts prices aswell and i bet the parts are expensive for it.

y2k

Prominent Member
We just got our first car this year (GF passed :D) and the cheapest to insure that we liked was a Ford ka and VW Polo, went with the ka.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Fiat [-]cingquesenco[/-] that one no one can say or spell

Go for the Seicento as they are newer...depends on your budget though, things like the Arosa, Lupo etc will also be cheap to insure.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Go for the Seicento

The Seicento has one of the worst crash ratings ever recorded by Euro ENCAP.
Only 1.5 stars out of five and special mention for "did badly in both front and side impact tests".
I wouldn't want any child of mine driving around in one of those.

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
without using google because I used to own one it's cinquecento which means 500 and Seicento means 600.

Liam

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Worse car ive ever driven was a kia picanto, followed by a Seicento sporting. :thumbsdow

boxrick

Prominent Member
I remember looking at getting my first car at 17... my insurance cost me £1900 on a group 3 car TPFT :eek:

What are these insurance companys thinking....

Couldn't afford it at the time was just too much, ended up driving my sisters and mums car around on there insurance for the next year until the price dropped to £1600 on my own insurance and then i bought my first car.

Still yet to have an accident to this day and got 4 years no claims bonus ...

alexs2

Distinguished Member
I remember looking at getting my first car at 17... my insurance cost me £1900 on a group 3 car TPFT :eek:

What are these insurance companys thinking....

What they're thinking is "which group of drivers costs us the most",and unfortunately it's young male drivers......I found that insuring my daughter on the same Ka as my son when it was her turn to learn to drive,was less than half of his original premium.

The insurance companies have become very good at stratifying risk categories,and also rather good at dividing up the marketplace into the areas they will and won't take on.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
There is one simple answer for young males that cant afford insurance - sex change :D

Given the costs of that option,you may find it cheaper to simply stump up the insurance bills.

A few years of work overall and about £20-30k :rotfl:

id suggest going on confused.com and typing in all the cars you would like and seeing which would be the cheapest/most non embarrasing one for you to drive lol

:thumbsup:

im 29 and i pay 530 quid fully comp on a 2.5 litre turbo focus st 3 so dont worry one day insurance will be cheap !!!! :rotfl::rotfl:

alexs2

Distinguished Member
id suggest going on confused.com and typing in all the cars you would like and seeing which would be the cheapest/most non embarrasing one for you to drive lol

:thumbsup:

im 29 and i pay 530 quid fully comp on a 2.5 litre turbo focus st 3 so dont worry one day insurance will be cheap !!!! :rotfl::rotfl:

Not bad at all....and I do think prices have actually become more realistic for "older" drivers of fast cars....at one time I was paying over £2k a year for what was then a 270bhp Cosworth,at the height of the price boom in the 90s,and later paying under £800 for a faster car.

Now,as an old git,my premium is under £500 for a modified S3.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Nice car.....what insurance companies base their rating on is sometimes a bit odd....

Especially as the Noble,despite having "only" 350bhp has a power/weight ratio nearly twice that of the ST.

As you say...wierd.

davidwatsonok

Prominent Member
Not weird really. Focus's et al are two a penny, littering every street in the land, so plenty of people need parts for them and that's one major theft category covered. Also, due to their prevalence, their locking and security mechanisms and systems are easily researched, making them a simple target. Also due to their prevalence, they blend in, so a passing Plod will hardly turn a blind eye as yet another Focus passes him by, no matter who's driving. Finally, as there are so many, owned by your average bod in the street, they get crashed.

Now, consider the Noble. Owners tend to be affluent and so won't be hitting eBay or a back street scrappers for parts. The security will be a new territory for any chancing scrote, and will probably be very good and multi layered, increasing the chance of either capture, or failure to acquire it in the first place. A Noble with a couple of track-suit wearing baseball cap'd numpties would be a definite alarm bell to any Plod, so they would get spotted very quickly. Finally, as the owners are probably wealthy car enthusiasts who've owned many high performance vehicles and know how to handle them well, they are less likely to have an accident. They may also be a recreational car, so driving very few miles, possibly only on nice, clear, sunny days to place where the roads are quiet, again minimising risk.

As a comparison, my mate went from a 330bhp £25k Subaru Impreza paying £900 a year to a 330bhp (that's nearly 700bhp/ton P/W :eek: ) £41k Ariel Atom and his premiums dropped to £470.

ben12345

Established Member
I think its a bit of a farce, the whole thing of womens insurance being cheaper than mens.

Both myself and my girlfriend had our car insurance due this past couple of weeks. We both shopped around (well I did for both of us) and her insurance is still nearly twice the price on her group 11 car as mine is on my group 20 car.
Both cars are of similar age (1 year difference), we both do similar mileage. We both have the same no claims bonus, both wanted fully comp + protected NCB. Neither of us have claims or convictions. She's 30 and i'm 26.

As far as the car with the cheapest insurance.... and old 1.0L Micra is probably going to be one of the better value ones. Remember that its not just the insurance group that is a factor in price, its the age/value/cost of replacement parts etc.
If insurance cheapness is really that important, and the value of the car you choose is as much as you spend on a good night out, then go for third party cover. When I was young, that really made a difference.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
The Seicento has one of the worst crash ratings ever recorded by Euro ENCAP.
Only 1.5 stars out of five and special mention for "did badly in both front and side impact tests".
I wouldn't want any child of mine driving around in one of those.

The topic was not "safest car for a 20 year old" though...when you're young you're supposed to drive a crap car, it's the law.

SkyCaptain

Established Member
I think its a bit of a farce, the whole thing of womens insurance being cheaper than mens.

Well like it or not, women are a safer bet. I used to work as a developer for a big insurance firm, we would get a regular update through called a mortaility table. Was basically a big chunk of figures and statistics stating your chance of dieing at certain ages :)

For men there was a spike at 17/18 and in the mid 40's This was purely down to when they first pass their test , jump in a car and wrap themselves round a lamppost. The 40's spike was down to the mid life crisis, same men finally being able to afford superbikes, jumping on them and wrapping themselves round the same lampposts within seconds.

Strange but morbidly true :) Women are safer, stats prove it.

Best first car? Anything 1.0 to 1.1 for a few hundred quid will do, run it into the ground and get another one for a couple years.

montybaber

Prominent Member
The aygo or one of its clones is a good bet, I had an aygo for a year and it was great fun to drive and didnt feel too slow.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom