• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Car Wash Incident

mrapbp

Hi All,

I just wanted to get your thoughts on this.

There is a car wash at my local Asda, one of these hand car washed that cleanes the car inside and out for £15 and is ran by a group of Polish guys. I have been going there for ages and never had any issues and they have always done a good job.

Last time I went they it looks like they had knocked my air freshner off (the ones that clip to the air vent in the dash and has liquid inside) and put it back upside down. The liquid inside leaked all over the dash, I didnt think much of it and when I got home wiped the dash and binned the empty air freshner.

This evening (maybe a week or so later) I noticed that the screen in the car (sat nav etc) now has quite bad water marks in it, looks like the air freshner liquid has gotten into the screen and buggered it up. You can only tell when the screen is white (which it is when you start the car) and it still operates as normal. The real issue is that I was due to have the screen replaced next week with a better after market head unit and to offset the expense I was going to sell this screen for around £500 (PCM 2 Porsche unit and thats roughly what they are worth second hand). I cant sell this as a 'like new' unit and to be fair as it would be going into a Porsche I probably wont be able to sell it at all. So a direct £500 hit to my pocket!!

So I wanted to get people thoughts on how to proceed. I cant really prove they did anything and I cant imagine they are likely to do the right thing and sort it. I think I am probably going to have to take the hit but £500 is £500 :(

Just seems a little unfair!

philbot

Accidents happen unfortunately and you can't prove any of it so I don't think you can do anything.

blue max

Distinguished Member
You can afford to pay people to clean your car and they knock something off that is an accessory and you want to close them down.

Hardly fair is it.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Its not a valet, just a quick clean inside and out. If I had paid £50 would it be OK for me to be ****** off?

Yes - I would expect somebody who charges a realistic amount to have some kind of insurance to cover themselves for this kind of thing.

Perhaps it's worth asking them if they're insured.

mrapbp

I think it is a realistic amount, it really is a quick 10 min job for 2 of them (they usually have about 10 people on at any one time). You can pay up to £70 ish for a full valet.

Still cant prove they actually did anything though so even if they have insurance I probably wouldnt be able to do much.

Yes - I would expect somebody who charges a realistic amount to have some kind of insurance to cover themselves for this kind of thing.

Perhaps it's worth asking them if they're insured.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
I think it is a realistic amount, it really is a quick 10 min job for 2 of them (they usually have about 10 people on at any one time). You can pay up to £70 ish for a full valet.

Still cant prove they actually did anything though so even if they have insurance I probably wouldnt be able to do much.

So you've answered your own question. There is nothing you can do about it.

No point in claiming on your own insurance, and I doubt you're the type to hope that the buyer won't notice.

My guess is, you won't be using them or liquid based air fresheners again.

It may be worth contacting the garage and seeing what a new LCD screen costs. Even if it's 250 quid, you've cut your losses.

digitaldecks

A porsche in asda??????

eob

Think yourself lucky it was just the head unit, which you are replacing anyway, which was damaged.
These liquid air fresheners have been known to make a bit of a mess of dashes. That would have cost a lot more to replace.

zed4

You can afford to pay people to clean your car and they knock something off that is an accessory and you want to close them down.

Hardly fair is it.

Fair?

Well our business has liability insurance, so I think it’s only fair that they have too. I would want them to cover the costs, that’s what their liability insurance is for. I can’t imagine Asda would let them operate without the appropriate insurance, paying tax etc.

digitaldecks

The problem you face here is that this will become a blame game. nothing will come of it.
your wasting your time.

you got a porshe, 500 notes is nothing.
Insurance or no insurance you have to prove they did it. its an air freshner, could have fallen of at any time.

digitaldecks

Fair?

Well our business has liability insurance, so I think it's only fair that they have too. I would want them to cover the costs, that's what their liability insurance is for. I can't imagine Asda would let them operate without the appropriate insurance, paying tax etc.

Asda will have no liability. they probably just renting out space.
if any insurance documents have been shown in the initial deal its either fake or expired. Asda will not chase them on anything as long as they get paid.

he used a £15 car wash in a supermarket car park on a porshe.

davidegee

Can't you pick certain models up pretty cheap?
Owning a Porsche doesn't mean £500 is nothing to the owner, surely?

I agree. A guy at work has an ancient porsche that is rarely on the road. He spends all weekend working on it and all week talking about it. £500 would be about half of his monthly take-home pay...

zed4

Well I don't think it's fair that these companies operate without public liability insurance. What if they drove a car into the front of your car? Would people be expected to let that go? Regardless of what it is, all sorts of people use these car washes.

Probably not paying tax either. Shouldn't be allowed.

And to the person who said he has a Porsche, so £500 is nothing. How do you know? Porsches can be bought for very little money these days. Of course, I wouldn't take my car in there, but it doesn't mean these companies should just be allowed to frit around, doing as they please, and have no repercussions for their actions.

What if that air freshener had leaked into more serious electronics within the car, could have even caused an accident when the car was being driven home. Should they be excused of their mistake because they're cheap and have no insurance?

digitaldecks

Can't you pick certain models up pretty cheap?
Owning a Porsche doesn't mean £500 is nothing to the owner, surely?

maybe i came of the wrong way.
if OP can afford a porsche you have to swallow the nightmares that come with it.

A lot of guys i work with have many motors that are silly money. its thier pride and joy. many of them have car cleaning firms come to thier home and do it.
the point being here is having a nice motor and trying to get things done on the cheap can lead to trouble and when things do go wrong such as this you have to lap it up. my opnion. if it was done on a dedictated business site it would be a different matter.

what OP needs to do is forget chasing the guys who caused this and swallow up the cost. find a 2nd hand replacement or alternative.

The problem you face here is that this will become a blame game. nothing will come of it.
your wasting your time.

you got a porshe, 500 notes is nothing.
Insurance or no insurance you have to prove they did it. its an air freshner, could have fallen of at any time.

Guys like these work their cahones off doing this kind of a job. Every time you go there and use their services I would reckon you save about £85 on the price of a Porche dealership valet.

6 of them would save you the £500 required to cover your losses.

You can't really prove they did it.

Conclusions:

1. It's a 50:50, IMHO, in that
A. you put the liquid above your screen and
B. they knocked it off accidentally.

You left it far too long to complain and it was left far too long before it was properly cleaned up. (I trust you definitely didn't set it up as a trap for them, which is another possibility?)
2. Move on with the rest of your life and put it down to experience.
3. Don't use liquid air freshener. Use perfumed cards instead.
4. Find another valeting service if you don't value their services and efforts. I do hope you stay with them. Their work ethic and efforts generally and typically put 'British workpeople' to shame.

I use a similar service. My guys are at Homebase, Sixfields, Northampton and are from all over Eastern Europe. They work hard and are a consistent regular team of guys and I trust them implicitly. My motor is a Mercedes-Benz E-Class 350 AMG Sport 5dr Estate. They keep it immaculate for me. The cost for inside and out? £10 + £2 tip.

Drive over and give them a try. :)

Last edited:

digitaldecks

I agree. A guy at work has an ancient porsche that is rarely on the road. He spends all weekend working on it and all week talking about it. £500 would be about half of his monthly take-home pay...

then you know that you wouldnt take it to asda for a £15 clean job. thats my point

Simba

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom