1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Sub?

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by danny-p, May 27, 2004.

1. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,
    Around 6 months ago i installed a JL 8W0-4 sub in the boot's side compartment on my Audi.
    This was fed from a bridged Alpine T505 amp (300W RMS @14.4V)....This sub lasted around 3 days (Voice coil failure)...i then tried the more powerful JL 8W3v2-D4 which sounded a slightly better than the JL 8W0-4 but lasted around 4 months then the Voice coils went again.
    I've ordered a 350W RMS Crystal COMP 8 which surely should be fine with my T505 Alpine Amp set at 4-Ohms Bridged @ 14.4V and with gain set @ high this should bring me out at around 350W RMS....
    Can anyone confirm that this should be fine?
    Would you leave the gain as it is (around a quarter way round) as i've read that alpine are very modest when it comes to power outputs from their amps?
    Thanks
    Danny

2. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The gain control is simply there to match the output from your head unit to the input on your amp, it's not a volume control... Now the 8W0-4 I'm sure is not rated at 300W, the 8W3 may be a better match which is probably why it lasted longer, however if you're clipping the amp and running DC through the sub then it will run hot and eventually fail... I would recommend having a professional installer set the gain for you, and check the sub is working in a suitable enclosure... You should really be able to hear the sub crying for mercy long before it fails, unless the amp is faulty...

3. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for that...The 8W3 is 125W (RMS) compared to the 8W0-4 which is 75 Watts (RMS)....The amp is outputting a briged supply of 300W (RMS) @ 14.4V.
    The 350W RMS Crystal COMP 8 would surely be fine as if anything i'm running just under 350W (RMS) Compared to well and truly exceeding the recommended RMS for the sub as before.
    On the first 8w0 i ran it at 22 vol (goes to 30) with bass set at -4 and there was no hint of V-coils blowing (no burning or distortion but when i ran it on a higher volume it eventualy fried.
    With the dual V-coiled 8W3 it ran for around 4 months on vol 22-24 with bass (HU) set @ -5 and it fried the voice coils again.
    When the 8w0 fried the fuse in the back of the Amp blew....On the 8W3 the fuse was intact which was wierd/or not.
    Cheers
    Danny

4. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'clipping the amp and running DC through the sub'

What do you mean by clipping the amp?....Bridging?? :confused:
    Cheers
    Danny

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  6. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    The Crystal Comp 8 sub will take heaps more than this and had excellent SQ even with lower powered amps.

The gain should be set in conjunction with your head unit. If your head unit has a higher pre out then (as long as your amp likes a high powered input) your gain on the amp will be set lower.

It's always nice to have a little bit of headroom though ;)

I am running two XXX 12's sealed with a Zapco 3.2kw amp and it rocks. Probably overkill to be honest.

7. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for that mate...Nice I.C.E btw :smashin:
    Danny-p